The New Orleans Voodoo Tarot- 6 of Santería-Elegguá, depicts an Orisha (Gods of Santería) of the jungle who has come to the city. Elegguá, is the hidden watcher, looking out from doorways, from under objects the *cowrie-shell eye's of this trickster loa see all. A concrete head, complete with a concrete laugh, for followers of Santería often have concrete orishas hidden behind doors to a house to protect it. This placing of god-or spirit statues around the home, or even buried in the foundation of the home has been a common practice among various cultures in Mesopotamia, even by the ancient Sumerians. Much like the Christians of today, placing a statue or figurine of their patron Saint in their home.
In Voodoo, cowrie shells were also used in divination, reading the patterns of the shells brings divining wisdoms to the priests who cast them. Often 16 shells are used, though this varies, for instance 21 shells are used when working with Elegua and/or Elegguá. Our shells have been ground to create 2 openings as traditionally used, and are great for mojo bags.
Elegguía is often depicted as the child who carries the Word and new seed of Legba, to lands barren with age for she is the child that dances between the red and black suns of Papa Legba. Therefore, the depiction of the 6 of Santería is that of a child with cowrie shell eyes, peeking out from behind a door, wearing the mischievous smile of a trickster. She may let you in, but then there is no telling if or when she'll let you out. Since the door is open, a clear path to success is apparent. As so with many of the Western Magic Fey, the primary attribute of Elegguá is playfulness. So care must be taken to give proper sacrifice, to get a clear and not jumbled message from him. Yes...him! One should remember that the Orisha or Loa, have both feminine and masculine sides. In Western magic, this is known as the equation of 0=2 and or the symbol of the lemnistrate, a figure eight laying on its side. Such a symbol indicates that O =oo and/or one energy twisted upon itself, so that it looks to be 2, but is inseparable and unbroken.
When thrown in divination, the 6 of Santería implies:
- Proper care in the matter at hand ensures favorable outcome.
- The influence of a child or child like person.
As always, the sixes are about a balance of trinities which makes them powerful and stable in dynamic movement.
The Thoth 6 of Disks card represents physical attainment, accomplishment and success. This is the harmonious energy of Earth, the balance of polarities have made fruitful the Son, Father, and Grandfather aspects of electric force and the Maid, Mother, and Crone aspects of magnetic force....It is Born! It is important to remember that this is earth, and gravitational forces will pull this successful creation down into itself, where everything becomes slow and heavy---so this success is temporary but enjoyable just the same. There is a great beauty here that comes from the balances of mental, emotional, and physical energy enhanced by the higher conscious states of self. Being Beauty---feels great! Beauty is not determined by fashion, nor culture, this is the Beauty that created me so it could be me! The great inner beauty of Energy and Information synchronicity, created by the harmony of Spirit-Mind-Body.
Generosity is shown here, as you now have enough success in physical health, finances, and emotional balance to assist others in their success. Astrologically, this card is Moon in Taurus, which suggests productivity (Taurus) and a deep inner satisfaction (The Moon) or a deep desire on the subconscious level. The foundation of creation vibrates from the deep passion and desire of Will-to-Be and the deep satisfaction of I AM! This being so, often to achieve success in any endeavor means that we must be in union with our inner master (Soul) who built us as its masterpiece. There is only diligence and doing indicated here. This is where the axiom," Above all things know thyself" really comes into its own.
The formula for success is indicated in the 6 planetary circles shown on this card:
1. Saturn represents success through discipline.
2. Jupiter reminds us that success is achieve by being open and flexible to options that may present themselves.
3. Venus reminds us of our beautiful heart and follow what has heartfelt meaning in our life.
4. The Moon indicates success attainable through following the truth of ourselves, by being authentic.
5. Mercury reminds us about how important organized well timed communication is important to success.
6. Mars reminds us to express continually steady energy into our professional or personal issues in order to achieve success;The Tortoise vs the Hare scenario, where rapid spurts of energy do not achieve success whereas steady on does. Success comes from deep within rather than the superficial without, which is symbolize in this card as the joining of the Western Cross (deep inner self integration) and the opening and blooming of successful achievement ( the Eastern symbol of success- the lotus).
However, 6 is not only a number of accomplishment, but also that of Christ, Buddha consciousness (Horus). Thus a certain sacrifice is made for the 6 is the Number of the Dying gods, and means a definite personality deconstruction in order for reconstruction that brings success.
The 7 of Disks-Success, is aptly named The Lord of success, as the Moon is exalted in Taurus. Here the charm, subtleties, ebb and flow of the Moon are merging with the hard work and deliberate earth qualities of Taurus, ensuring success in business and other earthly matters.
The colors on the Thoth Deck Card, are somewhat muted in this rendition; However, the center glows in dawn's light of rose-madder, surrounded by three concentric circles of golden yellow, salmon-pink and amber. Suggesting Tiphareth fully realized on earth. The usual arrangement of the Planets, as disks, are being irradiated by the Sun at the center. Again, Tiphareth is the Sun/Son-Horus or the Buddha -The Golden Psyche that is the Soul and is here, idolized as the Rose and Cross. This is a 49 nine petaled Rose, implying the interplay of the 7 with the 7**...The Feminine is never separate from the Masculine, it is their interplay that makes Life. Here the seeker, or searcher of truth, is linked with Venus whose number is 7. Hence, truth is in Beauty, not the beauty of the outer world, but the beautiful harmony of the Anima and Animus in the inner world.
**In numerology, the 7 is the seeker, the thinker, the searcher of truth. The number 7 can be aloof, hates gossip and is immune to small-minded backstabbing. Money means nothing to him/her and s/ he will never make a choice or a decision based on an expected financial outcome.
When thrown during a reading, the 6 of Disks implies:
· Material attainment and accomplishment, but with a caveat dealt out by the law of Karma; you'll have to put out effort, to receive back success.
· The successful cycle of income or security is steady and predictable.
· That the querent is also generous, sharing the wealth, giving people what they are willing to receive.
· The 6 of Disks also suggests that money owed will be paid and the querent shall receive what is rightfully theirs.
· That in the next 6 weeks or 6 months, you have the opportunity for success if you follow the formula for success as represented by the six planets presented in this card.
· That in the next 6 weeks or months, you will experience being successful in producing something deeply satisfying and important to you.
· That success is only temporary moment of repose and we must be flexible to new options to keep on succeeding in our life motion.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.