The Qabalistic Thoth Tarot- 5 of Disks-Worry & The Night Sun Tarot-5 of Pentacles:
In the Hermetic Qabalah's Tarot, the 5 of Disks or Pentacles is also called the "Lord of Material Troubles". This is because of the influence of Geburah (severity), the 5th Sephiroth on the Tree of Life, influencing Assiah-The Material World. Now, this is not the ruin of all things that is implied by the Ten of Swords, rather this is a severe disturbance to the natural structure brought into Taurus by the energies of Mercury (sigil on top of card). Normally, it would take a great amount of Mercurial energy to disturb the Sign of earthly Taurus (seen on bottom of card), especially when concerning earthly issues, but with the addition of Gerburah's influence, the material world is disturbed. Here, we have Severe Intelligence supplied to Labor.
The Old English word, Worry, is a term used to describe the throttling of a sheep by a sheep dog to make it stop moving, this is known as "worrying the sheep" and is indeed a proper perspective for this card. For, when one's head is full of worry, their creativity and forward motion in life, is stopped.
The Thoth 5 Disks are arranged in the skeletal framework of a upside down pentagram, representing trouble and instability in the form of matter. In each disk is a symbol of one of the five Hindu Tattvas (geometric forms that symbolize Fire, Air, Water, Earth and Spirit) whose task is to hold together, on a very low plane, an organism that would normally be totally disrupted. The angry background of coloration of the Thoth Card, symbolizes long continued inaction held together by intense strain. As stated: not unlike, the closed jaws of a dog holding still, by the throat, a sheep who is too terrified to move. Thus, the five of Disks, represents the "jaws of fear throttling our intelligence", so that we are unable to correct a material loss of monetary sources.
Hence, in the Five of Disks-Worry, the underlying currents of matter are totally unstable in their reversal, again shown by the upside down pentagram.
The 5's are all familiar with the 5th Sephiroth- Geburah, a state of energy that is severe in its function. Geburah is a corrective state of intelligence, whose severity is an action towards self assessment, rather than anything karmic. Geburah, demands one's attention, by sever action, which can seem tragic. Such as, taking a "breaking bar" to a jammed door; there will be some damage.
The Thoth Deck 5 of Disks, is called Worry, often called the Lord of Material Trouble. Here Mercury is in Taurus. The angels of the Decan are Mibahiah and Pooyal.
In the Tarot 5 of Disks, we have Geburah-Severity, influencing the Material World (Assiah/Malkuth)
As before stated: "To Worry" something, is translated as the Anglo-Saxon shepherds use the word, which is a type of strangulation a sheep dog does to a sheep. This strangulating is a biting and holding on to the Sheep's throat, which stops it in its tracks. Hence our fear has us by the throat and we are unable to mentally and physically move. Thus we understand that the five of disks is so named because it stops all material events, such as profession or monetary gain, dead in its tracks.
Again, Crowley shapes this card as an inverted pentagram, which implies "up-sided down thinking", causing material difficulties. He also placed the geometric figures of the Hindu five Tattvas in the individual disks, each symbolizing an Alchemical element of Fire, Water, Air, Earth and Spirit. In the Hindu system these are the underlying currents of matter.
To reiterate: Mercurial energy is opposed in Taurian earth, simply because earth has a natural tendency to be stationary while Mercury is swift motion. Granted, it takes a strong Mercury to influence and unbalance Taurus but Geburah is just that strength. In fact, instead of Severity, She is sometimes called Strength and causes instability in the five states of matter/energy. This instability is vibration, much like an earthquake, yet the 5 states of energy ( Five Tattvas) have enough attraction necessary to hold together on the lower planes forestalling complete disruption. So this is more like the dog holding the sheep at a standstill; a kind of intelligence applied to labor. The 5 of Disks thus implies intense strain with long moments of inaction.
The 5 of Disks or Pentacles card reminds us that by focusing on what we have lost or don't have, we cannot create more. We need to focus on what we do have, and on the thing we can do; maybe just a baby step is all we have, but that is motion and is enough to get us going again. Just taking a deep breath, hold it for a count of 10 and exhaling is enough to begin taking positive control over the brain. Even the Taoist axiom, of " a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step," is the solution to this worrying problem that confronts our intellect.
Since Disks or Pentacles, are cards that represent the physical, and/or objective world, this card represents physical worry, concerns, and rumination over monetary means. Therefore, Fabio Listrani choose to illustrate the card as earnings. By now, his familiar one crescent horned shamanic being, is holding out a hand of "5 Tattvas", implying earnings in five states of energy, as each point of his pentagram displays a coined pentacle. The sigils for both Mercury, upper left, and Taurus, upper right, are also displayed on this dark green card. The green background, is covered in his now familiar designs of "sacred geometry".
Worry represents a state of consciousness that dwells in the past and looks forward into a feared future and in so doing isn't living in the "now". By not living in the now, we are not present today, which doesn't allow new perspectives or thoughts to change our mental-emotional direction. Therefore, we live only in the past, and are as good as dead today. Hence, worry is a general effect of a long strain with out action; a general state of inaction. Health, finances, work, relationships and/or creativity are the concerns here.
Since, astrologically this card represents Mercury in Taurus, the 5 of Pentacles or Disks, also symbolizes communication worries on the physical level. Worrying about rather your communication efforts are coming across correctly or if you even have the ability to communicate at all.
When thrown in divination, the 5 of Disks card indicates:
- That in the next 5 weeks or 5 months, opportunities are presented to you for the release of worry about health, finances, relationships, productivity and to improve on your communication skills.
- The past, let's say when you were five years old, is what produces worry.
- We tend to want to avoid discomfort, and try to compare present day events, to past ones.
- To be locked into past pain----does not help us live in the present and this card reminds us to forget the what-ifs of yesterday, or tomorrow and to be the I Am of now.
- Perspective makes our present state of being, and if our perspectives dwell in the past---we aren't living today. We are inanimate, which is dead to action.
- We can change directions, be they physical, emotional or mental only by acting--moving!
- Begin with what you have even if your only action to hold out your hand for assistance, now and what-ifs are unimportant to motion as they only excuse inaction.
- It's time to break worry patterns by actively pursuing changes in communication patterns, financial , health, and in relationships with the Taurus people in your life.
- Worry is a type of mental lethargy whose chains are easily broken by activity. Live the now, you are not "a past person" you are a I AM Now person, an active and unique expression of alive motion.
- Worry often isolates one, so we need each other to see ourselves---its okay to reach out when we feel like we are in mental quick sand. You'd be surprised how many will grab that offered hand an pull you onto your feet again.
- A period of rumination, anxiety or concern...maybe all.
- Feeling left out of social events because of lack of money.
- The querent is going through challenges of insecurity, deprivation, and even exclusion.
- Here the mind is focused on survival issues and thus stopping creativity dead in its tracks as a feeling of helplessness and inertia take over.
- There is a foretelling of material trouble for the next 5 weeks or 5 months.
- For the last or next, 5 weeks or 5 months, experiencing worry over loss of profession, or money.
- Troubling thoughts about material things accompanying trouble with material things.
- Since this is a Disks which is a symbol of Earth, there is also signs of land cultivation, toil, labor, building knowledge and acuteness of earthly things.
- Poverty is often experienced because of severe carefulness. Yet, monetary gain can come after severe toil and labor.
If ill dignified by accompanying cards:
- Harshness, sternness, brought on by unimaginative determined and obstinate thinking.
- All is not lost however, for this is an unstable card, and a more mirthful perspective change can quickly overturn the negatives, moving one into the realm of the Six of Disks-Success.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.