The Thoth Tarot-3 of Disks-Works & The Night Sun Tarot- 3 of Pentacles.
The 3 of Disks-Works represents endurance, strong physical determination, and tenacity. The 3, is the ability to give the "works" to what you want.
In it's mundane interpretation, the 3 of Disks is the card of nobility; that of trade, skilled labor, renown and glory.
- The pyramid symbolizes focused power as commitment and priority.
- The blue light surrounding the pyramid states the capacity of clarity; clarity about what you will or will not give your energy, mind and body to. In other words,"the Works".
- The gray waves in the back ground represent confusion; However, this confusion has been broken through by the lighted pyramid of clear intention, clarity of priorities and commitments.
- In a mundane meaning, the three red wheels represent the alignment of mind, heart and action.
The astrological sign of Mars in the constellation of Capricorn adorns this card (Mars sign above and sign of Capricorn-below), as Mars is the planet of activity, energy, vitality and assertion. Also, Mars in Capricorn is the celestial ruler of this card Placing Mars in his most exalted state. Here, when linked to Capricorn, the Martian energy is constructive and he is an exceptional builder and engineer. Capricorn represents, the assertion of Mind, Heart and Action with focused intention moving in the same direction of tangible and secure manifestation.
Hence, the Tarot-3 of Disks-Works, also represents The Great Work: the establishment of the material Universe and the determination of Its basic form.
The 3's of the Hermetic Qabalah, are the number of the Great Mother Binah. Therefore the 3 of Disks is the Influence of the Great Mother, The Form Maker, in the Sphere of Earth. Here, Binah is illustrated as the Great Sea of Binah in the Night; Hence the background of the card is dark and turbulent. The fact that Unlimited Light is dark, is shown by the mottled gray, indigo and green pattern of the Sea.
The Qabalistic view of the Thoth card is that of a pyramid as seen from above its apex. The 3 wheeled base, represents the three Mother Letters of the Hebrew alphabet, Aleph ( Air) , Shin (Fire), and Mem (Water) or the alchemical system of Mercury, Sulphur (old English spelling), and Salt. If you are of the Hindu persuasion, the three wheels represent the 3 Rajas, and Tamas.
If you are interested in Hindu system of Guna, is the three virtues that are Sattva, Rajas and Tamas.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. This article is about the Indian philosophical concept "Guna". For other uses, see Guna (disambiguation). Guṇa (Sanskrit: गुण) depending on the context means 'string, thread or strand', or 'virtue, merit, excellence', or 'quality, peculiarity, attribute, property'. The concept originated in Samkhya philosophy, but now a key concept in various schools of Hindu philosophy.
According to this world view, that have always been and continue to be present in all things and beings in the world. These 3 gunas are called: sattva (goodness, constructive, harmonious), rajas (passion, active, confused), and tamas (darkness, destructive, chaotic). All of these 3 gunas are present in everyone and everything, it is the proportion that is different, according to Hindu world view. The interplay of these gunas defines the character of someone or something, of nature and determines the progress of life. In some contexts, it may mean 'a subdivision, species, kind, quality', or an operational principle or tendency of something or someone. In human behavior studies, Guna means personality, innate nature and psychological attributes of an individual.There is no single word English language translation for the concept guna. The usual, but approximate translation is "quality".
To a Qabalist, the Great Work is to make the "As above, so below", which is a process of "Above all things, know thyself", all of which is achieved by remembering the Spiritual journey "down" the Tree of Life by consciously traveling "back up" the inward paths and thus opening our personalities to the Great Collective Person that began this condensing process of Macrocosm to Microcosm. To "Remember thyself", is to know your divinity, not just believing in it. All of us are already, by presence alone, establishing the connection of Higher Self and Lower Self.
Part of the Great Work is to establish a "Knowing Evolutionary" state of " self-conscious expanding and liberating", to "sense out" through the animal brain form; bypassing survival thinking limits, allowing Wisdom to act, rather than letting the senses of "outward being" dictate reaction. To a Qabalist, Wisdom is the ability to "create-see error-and correct it", for we know that Wisdom is 50% error, and 50% correction; to the animal brain to make error is feared, as it maybe eaten. Hence, fear is keeping it from creating anew. The wise know that we must make mistakes when creating in a "cause and effect" universe, as entropy is part of all material creation. Entropy, is always seeking to "proceed from order to disorder", and the Universal solution to that chaos, is to keep up motion by constant change. In other words, act to"To expand and liberate" creation from previous boundaries rather than just react to creation.
If you know yourself at all, you will Know that the Homo Sapiens is the Solution to Spirit/creative-conscious limitations caused by being infinite and therefore, timeless. We have the "Mind of Goddess/God", often called Imagination and reason; Imagination is what I call "the Womb with a view". Having such a "god mind", we can see beyond our senses, we can plot and give birth to futures while changing pasts; we are visionary in our sight and see beyond the entropy of the past into the newness of the moment. To know thyself, is to know that the moment doesn't contain "the mind of you" and that it is just a moment, where as, as a psyche/soul you are a Master of Time /Space and have the power to change moments, just by perspective alone. The Thoth Tarot- 3 of Disks, is also called the 3 of Pentacles in the Barbara Walker, Golden Dawn, Ryder -Waite, The Night Sun Tarot and may other traditional Tarot decks.
The Tarot 3 of Disks or Pentacles, is the influence of Binah in the Material world that Qabalists call Assiah.
The Pyramid , shown on the Thoth Tarot, seems to be arising out of a Great Sea, that represents Binah-Understanding, the 3rd Sephira on the Tree of Life. This card also represents the Material establishment of the Universe as determined by its basic form of 3. The influence of Mars is shown as the Red- tint on the Thoth Card.
The Thoth Tarot- 3 of Disks- Works, represents the determination of the established Universe in basic form. This is called,"The influence of Binah in the Sphere of Earth."
The Thoth Pyramid is situated on the great sea of Binah in the Night of Time, while the Night Sun 3 of Pentacles, depicts a up-sided down triangle, with the "Cube of the Universe" within its dark space. The magical being has a crescent shaped horn adornment on its head gear. This would imply the involvement of the Divine Feminine who is often represented as a Crescent Moon. The 3 Pentacles are the gold of the sun an therefore radiating life forces, while the background and clothing of the individual, are both the green of fertile earth. The magic gesture from the shamanic individual is the same one used by the Magus or Magician, to imply as above so below.
When the 3 of Disks or Pentacles card is thrown during a reading it represent:
- Business, paid employment, commercial transactions,working and constructive force, building up, erection,creation, realization, and increase in material things.
- Rank, influence, cleverness in business, selfishness and commencement of a matter to be established later.
- Depending on dignity, it can also come to mean:
- Narrow and prejudiced, sometimes seeking after the impossible.
- This card is all about the ability to do work on both the Occult and Material levels of the Universe.
- The querent maybe giving full commitment to a situation and is unconcerned about difficulties.
- Is aware of responsibilities
- Planning secure structures in areas of finance, physical security and needs.
- Right effort towards a wise end in trade,, skilled labor, Etc.
- A basic form or structure may be finished , needing only finishing touches.
- Approval from others who appreciate the hard work the success that the querent has achieved.
- In a more spiritual reading, where the cards surrounding show a majority of Major Arcana, the querent is engaged in the Great Work of "As above and so below", by expressing the Higher Self.
- Material gain as a result of creative skills within a 3 wk or 3 month time frame..
- Love of one's creations, and nurturing others who assist in the work.
- Paid employment, in the next three weeks or 3 months.
- Successful business transactions from working and constructive force.
- Building up, erecting, and realization and increase of material things.
- The querent is showing a cleverness, in a form of bossiness that entertains a certain selfishness as they are keen in the mater of gain.
As in all cards, the definition is modified by dignity. If ill dignified by the accompanying cards:
- The Three of Disks, represents narrow and prejudiced thought and sometimes the seeking of the impossible.
*If the Three of Disks is surrounded by Trump (Major Arcana), the querent is on the Spiritual/Mental journey of the Great Work, and is accomplishing the Task of Remembering the "As above", thus manifesting it "so Below".
For more information about the Tarot, Tarot classes or for a live reading, in person or on line with Skype,or Google Hangouts,
. Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper!