The Erotic Tarot-Queen of Cups depicts a demure young woman of voluptuous form standing in the element of water, with rain coming down. Obviously, water is the Pythagorean element of this card as well as the element of the unconsciousness. Hence, the Queen of cups is seen here as the "Perfect woman" in the males unconsciousness. This "perfect woman", was called the Anima by the Physiologist Carl Jung. Also the "perfect male" resides in the unconsciousness of the females.
The meaning of this card is that of the Lover, faithful friend, apparition (imagined form), honesty (nudity).clairvoyance, intuition and sensitivity. He than assigns the Astrological sign of Cancer to this card, a water card which can make one emotionally receptive (empathy), and/or a lunatic if negative.
The meanings for the Queen of Water and the Thoth Queen of Cups are the same.
Binah and the Queen of Cups:
The Great Mother Intelligence is Binah, the 3rd Sphere/Sephiroth on the Tree of Life. She is the Sanctifying Intelligence and in the Queen of Cups, Binah is represented as the Queen of the Thrones of the Waters; Water being the flowing Unconsciousness of the Universe; known as Imagination. Thus, if you are into the Elemental Mysteries, The Queen of Cups is the Queen of the Undines and Nymphs. Astrologically, the Queen of Cups is in the last Decan of Gemini and the first two Decans of Cancer.
The Queen of cups is Specific Water in the Realm of Primal Water. Here the "Will to Form" of Binah is "reflecting on consciousness", i.e. imagination. Crowley's card shows this reflective nature in an abstract way. Here The Queen is enthroned on still Water, her image is of purity and beauty and is robed in veils of pure light. The Truth of her is often not seen by the observer, who can only see themselves in reflection. Just like our imagined self, we are seeing only what we imagine and not what is really ourselves.
In her hand is a shell like cup with a crayfish climbing out of it, a symbol relating to the Moon and its reflective qualities. Truth being, one of the characteristics of this card is that like water (unconsciousness), the flow changes according to the influences around it. Shown on this card is also an Ibis in abstraction, Here, we see the influence of Thoth-Hermes, as the Ibis is a traditional Egyptian symbol of this Moon God. Once again the Male and Female influences are never separate.
Chokmah, is often represented as Python, the First Husband, or as a snake or Serpent Force. In Mythology, the Ibis eats the eggs of the Snake, which relates to her "consuming the seeds of ideas" from Chokmah who is represented as Wisdom while she is represented as Understanding.However, the Ibis also consumes the corpses of the dead. This may seem contradictory, but the corpses of the dead are "Conscious seeds", personalities recycled so that data is consumed and recycled in the Universal Unconscious. Thus we have reference to the Great Sea of Binah (Universal Unconscious) from which life flows out, and also flows back into. Here also the Moon and the cycle of tides add to the image.
The Lotus is the Eastern Rose, and is the sacred flower related to Great Mother Isis an Egyptian form of Binah. Rather than through the touch of her hand, as the Queen of Wands is shown controlling the Leopard, The Queen of Cups uses the intermediary of the Lotus (Womb) to cause the Ibis to its work. The Tranquil waters, on which the Lotus float, are the means of force transmission.
The key characteristics to The Queen of cups as a personality, are dreaminess, illusion and tranquility. As is Water the perfect agent and patient solvent, the Queen of Cups, is able to receive and transmit everything without affecting herself .
If the Queen of Cups is caused to be ill dignified by the accompanying cards in a reading, then everything is refracted and distorted, as she is directly affected by surrounding influences.
When the Queen of Cups or Queen of Water is thrown during a reading:
- The querent is showing issues surrounding motherhood
- Suggesting emotional empowerment, as the querent is able to express feelings honestly, blamelessly and without judgment.
- Emotional and Intuitive capabilities that show highly evolved interpersonal interactions and psychic abilities.
- Implies the querent is extremely empathetic and thus must watch out for moodiness and fluctuating feelings.
- Suggests that one inspires from within and could be a time of deep inner musings, thoughts focused within where the mind is engulfed in Imagination.
- That a mature woman of deep sexual and fertility powers, where everything in her life is related to nourishment, sexual exchange, passionate giving and receiving maybe involved in the life of the querent or is the querent.
- Motherhood, or new ideas formulating for a creative line of work.
- An ethereal person of the highest ideals imagined...sometimes unattainably high in the physical world of constant change.
If ill dignified:
- Implies too much imagination about issues and not enough action taken to solve them.
- . Dreaminess.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.