the manara erotic tarot-knight of water- ( cavaliere di acqua)
The Erotic Tarot depicts a knight who has left his charger and is halfway immersed in a lily pond. What this has to do with erotism may stump the viewer. However, Knights have become a romantic figure in western culture and Water is the universal element of this card, which relates to self-consciousness, intuition, and emotion. The water Lily or Lotus is a sacred flower that represents the Goddess/Creatrix. The fact that his headgear is phallic shaped, and the water stands for the Yoni, we have one phallic- yoni combination.
The Knight or Prince is noted for his tempest like purity of emotions. So, I guess, by immersing the knight in the lily pond, expressed the fact that he is "immersed in emotions" and is very intuitive.
The divined meanings applied to this card by Milo Manara are:
- Knight errant.
The Thoth Prince of Cups
Thoth-prince of cups
All four Princes are dependent on the Union of the King and Queen. Unless set in motion by the Royal couple, the prince’s power is illusionary.
The Prince of Cups is known in the Mysteries, as the Prince of the Chariot of the Waters, Prince and Emperor of the Nymphs and Undines, as he represents the last Decan of Libra and the first two Decans of Scorpio.
He is Specific Air of Primal Water.
By now, you may know the Yod Heh Vau Heh formula, which is also shown in the Prince of Cups. Here we see the water Lotus and the cup that is issuing a serpent. The Serpent represents the 2nd Sephiroth-Chokmah, the Yod Force and in this card, it has the fiery unsettling qualities of Scorpio. The cup is Heh and encloses the Yod serpent; a Victorian way to show phallus and womb and/or the King and Queen in Union.
The prince, as Vau, carries out the activities of Yod and Heh combined, here then is Water (consciousness). The Eagle drawing the Chariot, is the Kerubic symbol for Water (also the highest symbol of Scorpio). And as we know, if we've swam in a river, the Eagle also suggests that the calm appearance of water, may hold violent and fiery energy-currents beneath the surface, Thus, in the Prince of Cups, Water suggests the Universal Unconscious which bears dynamic energy. Hence, what activity we can expect from the prince of cups personality is on one hand, elastic, volatile and hydrostatic equilibrium; on the other hand, the catalytic faculty and energy of steam which is shown in the Tarot card as wings of tenuous vapor, sprouting from his back that is also suggesting a spiritual sense of vaporization.
Scorpio is noted as being the most Mysterious of Signs, making this card seem overly complicated in its Water imagery. The Lotus is sacred to the Goddess. The calm and stagnant Lake beneath the Prince is shown being disturbed by heavy rain; Rain being the volatile expression of Vapor that has become clouds. The reason the lake is shown stagnant, is because of the Alchemical secret process of putrefaction which is also symbolized by the scorpion (not shown because it is secret), the other two processes of Scorpio are shown as the Serpent and the Eagle. Sexual force and Higher Mental- Motion, in that order.
Assigning the astrological sign of Pisces to this card implies gentleness, understanding, kindness and hyper-sensitivity.
As I've said before: The Princes represent the coming and going of an event or person.
To reiterate:" The Princes are the personified Elemental Forces, of those 4 elements that are brought into balance in Tiphareth.
The fact that this Thoth card is Libra going over into Scorpio, suggests great volatility, as this influence implies tremendous power, energy, and weight.
Such a person must be well mated, with goodwill and sincerity, for loyalty is all important to keep their good nature. When this is so, they are extremely romantic, sensual, and generous to a fault and are noted lovers.
In the case of the Prince of Cups, the morality or moral characteristic of such a person is implied as:
- Subtlety, secret violence, and craft.
- Being also an artist in all his ways, he would be intensely secret.
- The calm and imperturbable surface he displays masks his most intense passion.
- He accepts only external influences that aid him in his secret designs.
- His conscience is not that of an ordinary person, for it is of a more impersonal nature, making him suspected and distrusted by acquaintances.
- He is perfectly ruthless and inspires fear in those that distrust him.
- His abilities are immense, going beyond ordinary senses into realms of the subtle. He is, however, fluid and volatile as well, and does not care to work in harness.
As far as personal events go, the Prince of Cups represents for the querent:
- A personal process of the quiet inner aspect of the male principle where self-reflection, inner meditative peace and awareness are being experienced by the querent (The person the reading is for).
- The event of Mind is turned towards deep feelings and artistic visions with the necessary passion to do them but with the secrecy that may prevent it.
- It is completely involved in emotional sensation, psychic awareness, and spiritual awareness. All of which they have in abundance.
If ill defined:
- Lack of sensitivity.
Thank you for your interest, comments, and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.
Helping people become more magic and less tragic since 2010.