Binah and the Queen of Cups:
The Great Mother Intelligence is represented by the 3rd Sephiroth- Binah, known as Understanding. She is the Sanctifying Intelligence and in the Queen of Cups Binah is represented as the Queen of the Thrones of the Waters; Water being the flowing Unconsciousness/Consciousness of the Universe; known as Imagination. If you are into the Elemental Mysteries, The Queen of Cups is the Queen of the Undines and Nymphs. Astrologically, the Queen of Cups is in the last Decan of Gemini and the first two Decans of Cancer.
The Queen of cups represents Specific Water in the Realm of Primal Water. Here the "Will to Form" of Binah is "reflecting on consciousness", i.e. imagination reflecting on consciousness. Crowley's card shows this reflective nature in an abstract way. Here The Queen is enthroned on still Water, her image is of purity and beauty and is robed in veils of pure light. The Truth of her is not seen by the observer, who can only see themselves in reflection.
In her hand is a shell like cup with a crayfish climbing out of it, a symbol relating to the Moon and its reflective qualities. Truth being, one of the characteristics of this card is that like water (consciousness), the flow changes according to the influences around it. Shown on this card is also an Ibis in abstraction, Here, we see the influence of Thoth-Hermes, as the Ibis is a traditional Egyptian symbol of this Moon God. Thus again the Male and Female influences are never separate.
Chokmah, is often represented as Python, the First Husband, and/ or as a snake or Serpent Force; all of which represent the first male vibration/frequency. In Mythology, the Ibis eats the eggs of the Snake, which relates to her "consuming the seeds of ideas" from Chokmah who is represented as Wisdom; Her consummation of ideas produces understanding; Understanding produces information, that becomes in-form-action.
However, the Ibis also consumes the corpses of the dead. This may seem contradictory, but the corpses of the dead are " Self-Conscious seeds", personalities recycled so that data is consumed and recycled in the Universal Collective Unconscious (Carl Jung). Now we have reference to the Great Sea of Binah (Universal Unconscious) from which life flows out, and also flows back into. Here also the Moon and the cycle of tides add to the image.
The Lotus is the Eastern Rose, and is the sacred flower related to Great Mother Isis, an Egyptian form of the trinity goddess Binah. Rather than through the touch of her hand, as the Queen of Wands is shown controlling the Leopard, The Queen of Cups uses the intermediary of the Lotus (Womb) to cause the Ibis to do its work. The Tranquil waters, on which the Lotus float, are the means of force transmission.
The key personality characteristics to The Queen of cups, are dreaminess, illusion and tranquility. Just as Water is the perfect agent and patient solvent, the Queen of Cups, is able to receive and transmit everything without affecting herself in so doing. In Tarot, the Queen of Cups is used as a significant for those born between June 21 st. and July 21st.
If the Queen of Cups personality is caused to be ill dignified by the accompanying cards in a reading, then everything is refracted and distorted, as she is directly affected by surrounding influences.
The Tarot of Druids-Queen of Chalices, depicts a helpful woman and/or female teacher. Here is emphasized the Motherhood characteristics of the Queen of Cups. Every one in the scene, is dressed in their Celtic traditional regalia and viewing a traditional Druid Granite altar complete with chalices, water jug and sacred carvings.Here, the woman is turning ideas into understanding that becomes information to the young.
When the Queen of Cups or Queen of Chalices is thrown during a reading:
- The querent is showing issues surrounding motherhood
- Suggesting emotional empowerment, as the querent is able to express feelings honestly, blamelessly and without judgment.
- Implies too much imagination about issues and not enough action taken to solve them.
- Emotional and Intuitive capabilities that show highly evolved interpersonal interactions and psychic abilities.
- Implies the querent is extremely empathetic and thus must watch out for moodiness and fluctuating feelings caused by outside influences.
- Suggests that one inspires from within and could be a time of deep inner musings, thoughts focused within where the mind is engulfed in Imagination.
- That a mature woman of deep sexual and fertility powers, where everything in her life is related to nourishment, sexual exchange, passionate giving and receiving maybe involved in the life of the querent or is the querent.
- Motherhood, or new ideas formulating for a creative line of work.
- An ethereal person of the highest ideals imagined...sometimes unmaintainable in the physical world of constant change.
- Help from a Woman or female companion.
- Erasing the boundaries between dream and reality.
When ill defined by the surrounding cards in the layout:
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. Your generosity blesses you. May you live long and prosper.