The Rider-Waite Five of Pentacles concentrates on a more trite illustration of being "out in the cold"; applying the mundane meanings of loss of profession and monetary resources, to a cliché. Here a beggared couple pass below the stain glass window of a medieval church. The five Pentacles are shown in the window art. Geburah, The Fifth Sephira on the Qabalistic Tree of Life rules the Fives; a state of energy that is severe in its function. Geburah is a corrective state of intelligence, whose severity is an action towards self assessment, rather than anything karmic.
The Thoth Tarot-5 of Disks, is called Worry, often called the Lord of Material Trouble. Here Mercury is in Taurus. The angels of the Decan are Mibahiah and Pooyal.
In the Five of Disks, we have Geburah-Severity, influencing the Material World ( Assiah)
As before stated, "To Worry" something, is translated as the Anglo-Saxon shepherds use the word, which is a type of strangulation a sheep dog does to a sheep to stop its motion. This strangulating is a biting and holding on to the panicking Sheep's throat,which stops it in its tracks, allowing the dog to turn its direction. Thus we understand that the five of disks is so named because it stops all material events, such as profession or monetary gain, dead in their tracks.
Again, Crowley shapes the Thoth card as an inverted pentagram, which implies difficulties. He also placed the geometric figures of the Hindu five Tattvas in the individual disks, each symbolizing a Alchemical element of Fire, Water, Air, Earth and Spirit. In the Hindu system these are the underlying currents of matter.
Mercurial energy (electric) is opposed in Taurian earth, simply because earth has a natural tendency to be stationary while Mercury is swift electric motion. Granted it takes a strong Mercury to influence and unbalance Taurus but Geburah is just that strength. In fact, instead of Severity, She is sometimes called Strength and causes instability in the five states of matter. This instability is vibrational, much like an earthquake. Yet the Five states of energy ( Five Tattvas) have enough magnetic attraction necessary to hold together, on the lover planes, forestalling complete disruption. So this is more like the dog holding the sheep at a standstill. A kind of intelligence applied to labor. The Five of Disks thus implies intense strain with long moments of inaction.
When the Divination brings up the 5/Five of Disks/Pentacles, the querent is going through:
- A period of rumination, anxiety or concern...maybe all.
- Feelings of being left out of social events because of lack of money.
- Challenges of insecurity, deprivation, and even exclusion.
- The mind is focused on survival issues and thus stopping creativity dead in its tracks as a feeling of helplessness and inertia take over.
- A foretelling of material trouble for the next 5 weeks or 5 months.
- This card reminds us that by focusing on what we have lost or don't have, we cannot create more. We need to focus on what we do have, and on the thing we can do; maybe just a baby step is all we have, but that is motion and is enough to get us going again.
- The axiom, of ", a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step" may be the solution to this worrying problem that confronts the querent's intellect.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper!