The Running Press Tarot, has ignored all mythology and has given us the artist's concept of a King of the World. Lot's of fun, as well as, non-offensive to the squeamish. The green corners identify this card as under the influence of the Universal Element of earth.
Faithful followers of my blog (eli-lsmerchantile.com) know that Chokmah, the 2nd Sephiroth, is both Wisdom and the Will to Force. He is the idea of male polarity, as is the Knight/King of Disks. Consistent readers also know that Crowley called his Kings, Knights, as he saw them active and astride their battle chargers rather than passively sitting on a throne. Crowley's knights are called Princes.
Now there are those who think that Male came first, or that Female came first; well let’s just say that they think only in linear time aided by our short-sighted physical-cultural perspective on sexuality. The startling fact to some, is that if you come up with the idea of Male, then you come up with the idea of female at the same moment. There is no male concept without the concept of female and vise verse. So the argument of whom came first, is null and void when intellectually talking about the Supernal Triangle and/or Upper Triad of the Qabalistic Tree of Life.
The Will to Force (Chokmah) and the Will to Form (Binah) united produce the Will - To – Be; which is the way of saying the mating of I and Am produces the idea of Being and that being is a - Me. Our concept of sexuality is in need of adjustment before we can understand the One Energy that made itself two so it could be many.
Chokmah being the 2nd Sephira called "Will to Force" makes it the force behind the 4 Kings and the 4 Deuces. Therefore, the personification of that force is represented in the 4 Knights/Kings. In other words, Chokmah's will to force, is at its most concentrated and dense elemental form on Earth.
THE KNIGHT OF DISKS: Represents the Lord of the wild and fertile land and as such is the King of the elemental spirits of earth; for instance, the Gnomes. The zodiacal attributes to this card are the last Decan of Leo and the first two Decans of Virgo.
Being that the Knight of Disks is the densest manifestation of the Elemental Yod force, he is the force behind fruition, and growth but tends to be slower than the rest of the Knights. This powerful fertility is represented in this card by the use of the Stag antlers on the Helm of the Knight. The understanding of the mythical animal images of the middle ages, comes in handy here, as the Stag is the beast that ate the serpent (received wisdom) and in so doing sheds its skin, any illness and old age, just as a serpent does. So to make a long and wonderful story short, the Stag represents the Knights power to regenerate as does the organic matter it is a symbol of.
Many of us have seen the Fire of Earth, in its volcanic upheavals; however, how often do we realized that Volcanism is Earth regenerating itself? Thus is the Fire of Earth that is the Knight; fleeting yet he is also the cycle of rebirth. The same fruition is implied by the wheat field or fruitful plane that his horse is grazing on. Thus he carries a flail, used in grain harvest and his disk/shield is that of solid nutrition. Hence, this archetypal personality is concerned about health and nutrition.
WHEN THE KNIGHT OF DISKS IS THROWN DURING A READING:
- A concern for the body and good health.
- A doctor or herbalist concerned with health.
- The querent is showing the spirit of fertilization, as joyous practicality, steadfastness, reliability and is an epitome of material success.
- Generous, courageous but is not prone to seeking adventure.
- Ordinary activity, in social position, accomplishments, experiencing a success that is relaxed and enjoyed.
- A mature reliable, dependable, and wise male upon whom others may depend on and with whom they lay their burdens.
- A dark male, who is both courageous and lethargic in tendencies. However driven in matters of material success.
- A good financial provider who understands and likes work knowing it leads to financial security.
- The querent may be such a person or involved with such a person in their life. The surrounding cards or position in the reading would support this understanding.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donation. May you live long and prosper.
Any questions? email email@example.com, and I'll answer them ASAP