The Knight of Wands in the Rider-Waite-Smith Tarot deck is comparable to the Prince of Wands in the Thoth Tarot Deck. This Prince is a Prometheus, who has stolen Zeus's fire and brought it to mankind.
The Rider-Waite Knight of Wands, is rather less spectacular and has no mention of the Queen. His yellow salamander bedecked outer garment, and the fiery plume like helmet decoration along with the inner red of the garment, suggest fire which is the cards element. His wand is the leafing, and therefore, a fertile, phallic staff that is relative to the medieval Tarot decks. His fiery stead, is moving in an aggressive manner giving us an implication of his motive power.
In the Qabalistic Tarot of Thoth, according to the paradigm of Yod Heh Vau Heh, Princess are the Son of the Queen and King and whose mate is the Princesses, thus they are governed by Tiphareth-Beauty, the Son (Sun) of the Divine Creative.
The Princes are wholly activated by the Queen and King, adding to their complexity as they have no motive power of their own. They are force, but a stable one, as they are being pulled along in their chariots; a mobile platform which represent the Queen's stabilizing action.
The Figures of the Arch Fairies (Elemental forces) are the Lion, Eagle, Man and Bull. These are the Four Kerubim of Qaballah. They are very ancient symbols for the elements of multi-religious belief systems. Appearing as Gods of the Assyrians, the Four Animals in the Old Testament vision of Ezekiel, and they are the four symbols of the Christian Evangelists, and the four elements of Pythagorean Alchemy.
- The Lion represents the Sun. Hence, it is the symbol for the element of Fire.
- The Eagle, represents the element of Air.
- The Man, represents the element of Water.
- The Bull, represents the element of Earth.
In the vastness of Kether, the Primordial Elements radiate into Tiphareth, becoming the united rulers of the elements that are individually expressed in Tiphareth. Anthropomorphically personified, The Princes are the balance of the Four Elements in Tiphareth. Being the most refined aspects of the Solar- Personality, the Four Princes are the Archetypal Elemental Kings in ourselves known as Elohim Malechim.
It should be no surprise then, that the Princes can be taken in any direction by Divine Will. Thus, the forces of the Prince of Wands may be applied with Justice or cruelty; the unconscious flowing motion of the Prince of Cups may be subtle and artistic; or it may be evil. The rational mental activities of the Prince of Swords, may produce ideas that are either creative or destructive and last but not least, the material qualities of the Prince of Disks, may cause growth for good or evil. The Grounding Element for the Princes lessons, are the Princesses, who rule the earth from the Northern quadrants.
When thrown during Divination, the Princess often represent the coming and going of an event or person.
THE PRINCE OF WANDS:
is Air of Fire or Specific Air of Primal Fire. His power is tremendous, so Lady Frieda Harris, the artist of the Thoth Tarot attempted to show the swiftness of his foundation of motion, that is being pulled by Leo (the Sun) the Lion; Swift, because of his enormous strength that can go any direction, even unto violence if angered. The Thoth deck card, shows the marital Prince holding the Phoenix Wand of Geburah, and thus wields the fiery Severity of Geburah.
Ruling from the 21st degree of Cancer to the 20th degree of Leo, he is endowed with a powerful faculty for expanding and volatilizing. His arms are free of armor and mail, as he is vigorous and active. As you can see, he is aflame in every way above, the Solar-ray crown surrounded by a winged Lion head sending from his crown a curtain of flame, suggesting the Solar Logos. In his left hand (side of the Goddess) he holds the Phoenix Wand of Power and Energy, while the other is holding the reigns of the Lion . His sexual energy is renowned and spontaneous.
The Thoth Deck Card stresses the Solar Power of this Inner Elemental Prince archetype that resides in all of us. Hence, With wheels radiating flame, he rides on a sea of flame, both waved and salient. He is the resurrection of a personality that has returned from the fiery baptism of the "Sun/Son" and/or Soul. Hence, he is cleansed of man-made identity, by the fire of his Soul; being returned to the original spiritual identity the Soul/Psyche had created. In other words, what is considered "good or bad" to the cultural slave thinking of mankind, does not exist in this one. Willful passion powers his/her life. Since, this card is about Persona, it can be either the significator for a male or female of a species sexuality. However, the common practice, is to use the Princess of Wands for one who is born under the Princes's significator on the Tarot wheel of birth.
The Prince of Wands or the Knight of Wands card describe a Personality that is :
- Swiftness and Strength are the primary moral qualities of this personality.
- Impulsive, often easily directed by outside influences, even trifling ones, this one can be prey to indecision.
- The Princes opinions are often violently expressed but being emphatic does not mean he'll hold the opinion long. He just loves vigorous statement, enjoying the feeling of the vigorous flow.
- The truth being, that he is often slow to make up his mind, and is essentially just and sees both sides of a question.
- Having a character noble and generous causes him to lean towards expressing extravagant hyperbole while secretly laughing at the boast and himself for making it.
- Being of fanatical courage linked with indefatigable endurance in both life and sexual activity, he chooses to fight against the odds and always wins in the very long run.
- The Passion radiating off of this person frightens most people because of the mystery it presents. He is of Dragon, and thus he strikes terror in the heart of the less inclined.
- His generosity and deeds maybe impeccable, but the heat of his passion scares the pale soul who avoids the Sun.
- His great pride, which is his main fault, makes him hold in contempt, meanness and pettiness and he is adept at wielding every weapon of ridicule, while still giving the shirt off of his back to the one so scorned.
- Without lust of result, he loves work and exercise for its own sake.
- Paradoxical is his contempt for the world at large, while holding ecstatic respect for every individual man and woman.
- The Mystery of such a one who is a living Sun; this Sun Warrior is an aspect of the Solar Logos that puts ideas into action and will fight for their survival and resides at the core heat of us all!
- There is a sense of Romantic Revolution with this one. Most people enjoy his passionate demeanor, but woe to the person that focuses his wrath.
- Because of this Swift and agile personality, many of his acquaintances are not committed to him as friends, for his swift mystery baffles most of them as he is all that is unexpected, startling, unpredictable, unconventional, but having a deep underlying consistency.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and pros