- The Universal Key of balance: Justice and Realignment. This card is Adjustment in the Thoth Deck, Strength or Justice in others. In the Druid Craft Tarot-Key 11, Justice is seen with her very ornate balances (scale) and her sword of justice .Along with her, are old pagan similes: The Owl, a familiar that represents "the Underworld", as a messenger and psycho-pomp, and Wisdom. The Spider as the Native American "Spider woman", weaver of the Universe. Her ornate helm and chain-mail imply she is a Celtic Judge. The feather at her feet, is reminiscent of the Egyptian goddess Maat, judger of souls. Who is the mediator, adjuster, and the arbitrator; What you put out, you get back! Every thought, every action is returned to you----this law is active for you as long as you exist as an I Am . There can be no greater justice nor greater balance achieved in this world of action and reaction. This card points out that by thinking ill we become ill and by thinking well we become well. Thus it is smart “to do unto others what you would have done unto you”-----because it will be so done!
The Thoth card uses the symbol of Libra; the scales and within the scales are the Greek letters, Alpha, representing beginnings, and Omega, representing endings or completions. This is also known as Karma in Eastern teachings. We must finish what we begin or we will be doomed to repeat it! [The Hindu Goddess Karma is shown in header]
In the Thoth Adjustment Key 8 card, the diamond image around the being symbolizes the piercing of illusion and delusion and represents truth and negotiation
The Egyptian figure represents Maat, the Goddess of Law, Truth, and Justice.
The circles represent formulated thoughts or ideas. This card also represents the integrating, balancing and synthesizing mind which is often expressed in writing, research, engineering and design.
The Ace of Swords is also depicted in the Thoth card, pointing downwards indicating the application of creative ideas in tangible ways.
When this card is drawn it often means we are experiencing karmic adjustments in life from past thoughts and actions which have led to the present circumstances of our life. We are reminded that we are not bodies. Rather we are a form of multiple conscious energy that uses bodies to work out thought equations to see if they expand and liberate life or if they stall and subvert life. We must know in order to expand our self -awareness and that of the Universal Self, from which we all are formed! This is the Law of Action and Reaction that all mind and matter is subject to.
As a Goddess, Maat represented moral law and truth, a straight edge to measure the psyche by and is a personification of the concept of Adjustment... Thus the Crowley card has Maat as the central figure on the ADJUSTMENT card, crowned with her attribute, the ostrich feather. To keep our psyche on the "straight and narrow" path of purity, requires a sharp sword indeed, as I for one, need constant pruning! That is why I skry this card often!
As stated, Adjustment, is at work continuously in the above, The Greater Universe, and the below, our individual soul/personality. In other decks this is Key 11 Justice. However, it is titled, this powerful, natural, equilibrating function occurs in our bodies, as they balance nutrition continuously to maintain proper operation as power tools for Spirit. And Adjustment is also an equilibrating function that occurs in our personalities, making sure there are no constant extremes of behavior that keep us from operating effectively in our environments. In the Personality, adjustment is done by natural force and reason, while the Soul is measured when it "stands in” the Divine Light of the Solar Logos. The Solar Logos is, Tiphareth, the sixth Sephiroth on the Tree of Life, often called the "Christ Light". Only in this Light (bright and warm intelligence) does the dual- edged Sword of Geburah, do its work; pruning away the perspectives which are not worthy of Her Divine Child.
This image of Maat, as presented on the Thoth card, is a suggestion of the Maat legend as the "Daughter of Ra", relating her to the Sun God (Tiphareth-Solar Logos). Her Qabalistic name is "Daughter of the Lords of Truth" while the Egyptians also called her the "Queen of Heaven". All of these names pointing to the fact that this Severe Faithful Intelligence is the regulator of the Path of the Sun; as the Egyptian texts suggested. Through Maat the Sun subsists, for Ra is said to "rest upon Maat" and/or to “live by Maat". In Qabalistic terms, this means that the principles of the Path of Adjustment maintain Tiphareth---The Bright and Warm intelligence of the Solar Logos.
Since Ra is known to the Egyptians, as the source of all light, the Qabalists know Ra as the Fool or the Path of Aleph, who is the Source of All Light. This makes it possible to say, that Aleph rests upon Lamed and that Lamed is the regulator of the Path of the Divine Life Force. That is also why I teach that "The Solar Husband is invoked by the Great Womb'". This may startle some men who objectify women as an object of sexual desire, for it is well known to both Tantric and practicing Qabalists that the Life Force, and/or "Sex Energy" is invoked by the Great Female, to regulate and establish her Forms. The Form of Him came from the Womb of Her, i.e. "Ra is said to live by Maat." The Lord of Lightning servers the Great Magnetic-Ocean Mother. To put this simply, The Great One (Kether) became Two, by the process of Adjusting idea/Wisdom (Chokma) and Understanding (Binah the Will to Form), thereby, realizing He/She....and thereby established the equilibrium that produces and maintains all things. The downward pointing Phallus and testes headdress on the female figure of the Thoth card attests to this understanding. Those who Skry this card will not be unhappy that they did so, even if Geburah wields her sword in quick bright strokes. The discomfort of emotional burdens, the burdens of perspectives, just fall away and the one skrying, feels all "Warm and bright".
There is a large compliment of Planets involved in this card.
- First is Venus, which rules Libra.
- Mars is related because of the purging forces of Geburah.
- The Sun, as stated above, is involved not only because the Path of Lamed runs from the Sun to Mars, but also because Adjustment (Justice) must take place in the clear bright light of Truth.
- Saturn is exalted in Libra and finally;
- Jupiter which is the planet of Chesed (Mercy). By acknowledging that Libra is ruled by Venus, is also to acknowledge that behind Adjustment stands the Empress, the primary path of Venus, which is the perfect equilibrium between the forces of Chokma and Binah. It is interesting to note that the planet Venus refers to all of the Sephiroth and encompasses every single Sephira on the Tree of Life. The implications being that Love is the Ultimate Power of the Universe.
The imagery on the Thoth card is all about “law and limitation as symbolized by the throne of spheres and pyramids in groups of four, behind the Female figure. She is best described in Crowley's book: 777, as "The woman justified. By equilibrium and Self-Sacrifice is the Gate." He goes on to state; "She is the ultimate illusion which is manifestation: she is the dance, many-colored, many-willed, of Life Itself. Constantly whirling, all possibilities are enjoyed, under the phantom show of Space and Time; all things are real, and the soul is the surface, precisely because they are instantly compensated by this Adjustment. All things are harmony and beauty; all things are truth because they cancel out." Crowley understood, that the Soul, is the Mirror that our image is reflected in and it is by the Adjustment of perspectives that our healing comes from. This may be why the medical journals are said to state, "83% of all healing, is by placebo”. Something to ponder.
When the Adjustment or Justice card is thrown during a reading:
- The querent is experiencing or will experience, the making of a final decision.
- Judgment and sentencing by a determination of an issue without appeal on this plane.
- The querent is experiencing "What you put out, you get back".
- The Law of action- reaction, where the natural forces of nature reach a balance within the individual, setting things right.
- The balancing of opposites.
- One is being adjusted in life, much like a steering wheel of a car is in need of constant small adjustments, to keep it straight on uneven roads.
- Time for making a decision, but not out of reaction. Taking new action.