Thoth- 8 of Disks-Prudence
The 8's of Qabalistic Tarot:
The Four 8's are attributed to Hod (8th Sephiroth--Splendor) on the Tree of Life. Since Hod is in the same plane as the 7's (Netzach-victory) the same weaknesses and/or defects that are in the 7's will apply. Yet, in a sense, the alleviation of the 7's weakness is also being applied in the 8's. One might say that the mischief has been done and there is an action against it---much like white blood cells attacking a intruder in the blood stream; not a total cure but a beginning in that direction.
The Thoth-8 OF DISKS: PRUDENCE
Astrologically this card is placed as the Sun in the constellation of Virgo. Hence, the planetary aspect here is a very practice one that tends to cause concern with small details.
Qabalistically, 8 of Disks (8 of Pentacles in other decks) is Hod (splendor) in Assiah (the material world). Prudence in the Material world is no great virtue, for this is the tendency to focus only on the small details while ignoring the bigger picture.
The divination meaning of this card is, skill, prudence, and over carefulness about small things, at the expense of the great.
However, on the positive note, the 8 of Disks also shows the abilities to work steadfastly on new projects, and proceeding to others later on. Often this is called the Master's Craft card, since it is about focused will, skill with energy and material matters and is the kind of objective focused state needed for esoteric meditations. It is about craftsmanship that thinks of the work itself rather than the goal of reward.
The 8 of Disks and/or Pentacles represents talent, skill, craft, learning, and practical ideas being turned into a profitable profession. The card itself symbolizes the harvest tree where hard work and skill have become fruitful and now you only need await the ripening of the harvest.
Night Sun Tarot- 8 of Pentacles
Therefore, in a positive note, the 8 of Disks/Pentacles implies skillful manipulation of physical material with talented fingers along with prudent thoughts and the wisdom to coordinate both.However, there is a negative note as well, for, as shown on the Night Sun Tarot 8 of Pentacles, it can also mean avidity and poor advice. Here, the advice from the shamanic feminine figure is given to the male shamanic figure, which seems to intrigue the male.
Fabio Listrani's "earth Shamans" all wear curved cow horns, the crescent symbol of the Divine Feminine, the "Cow Goddess", the golden coins depict the Sun like energy of the Divine Masculine. The predominant color of green, signifies the element of earth. Unlike the Thoth card, the Pentacles are in the left hand and right hand tree, forming an arch depicting the careful detail and balanced union of the left hand and right hand path. The Thoth Card depicts the tree made of serpentine weaving, showing careful attention to details, and the equilibrium of male force (right hand path) and female form (left hand path). Both ultimately reach the same conclusion of equal and opposite, achieving a balance.
The Sun sigil is on the upper left of the Night Sun Tarot, while the sigil for the constellation Virgo, is on the upper right.
At the top of the Thoth Card, is the Sun sigil and at the bottom of the harvest tree is the astrological sigil of Virgo. Virgo reminds us that by attending to details and utilizing our organizational skills, we shall repeat the just harvest. Trust in your skills is the foundation of this harvest rather than the need for control; only a deep abiding trust in your skills will reap the just reward as harvest follows the ordered skill of the prudent mind. Prudence and wisdom are qualities of patient skill , not pushing to make things happen nor holding back or resisting. Also implied, is to avoid listening to the advice based on avarice from others.
On the Thoth Tree, the coins or pentacles have blossomed; the patient skill of wisdom and prudence has prevailed and the successful harvest is shown by the protective leaves that hold back chaos. There is no place for doubt in this card it is a manifested Trust of skill. The Night Sun's Pentacles or coins, seem to be attached to the barren tree, rather than grown from it, and therefore, enforcing the "bad advice of avarice".
The Tarot 8 of Disks/Pentacles, marks the turn of the tide, as the 7 of Disks/Pentacles, was the fullest possible establishment of matter transformation that has become a failure of the great structure of the 4's. This is simply because of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which many call Entropy. In this law, matter proceeds from order to disorder and in the 7, matter has done so. In the 8, disorder begins the renewing process that proceeds into a step by step process of purity. In our organic world of light, compost supports the healthy seed; much as the process of the 7 to 8, in Hermetic Qabalah.
In the Hermetic Qabalah and the Tarot, the number 8 represents Hod-Splendor, and is very advantageous, as it represents Mercury in its highest spiritual aspect. This is well, as Mercury both rules and is exalted in Virgo which belongs to the Decan and is governed by the Sun. Therefore, the Thoth Deck 8 of Disks, signifies loving intelligence applied to material matters. This especially true in engineering and agricultural matters. The 8 of Disks/Pentacles card can also be called the card of the Master craftsman.
As Crowley so eloquently put it. " Note that Virgo is Yod, the secret seed of Life, and also the Virgin Earth awaiting the Phallic Plough."
This may sound unseemly to some, however, the Sun is the Phallus to Earth, as the Sun ejaculates its energy to the material womb that is Earth, so Crowley's explanation makes perfect sense.
In Qabalah, Masculine force is Electric, expressive, while Feminine Force is Magnetic, receptive. Since every Sephiroth on the Tree of Life is Androgen, that is both expressive and receptive, the student often becomes confused about the gender attributed to the Sephira. This confusion is easily dispersed by the understanding that the Divine Twins, as shown on the Thoth Sun card, are dancing in every state of conscious energy on the Tree of Life. The rhythm of the dance may be "more active" or "less active" , "more receptive" or "less receptive"but the motion of Force and Form is always there. Hence, to the Qabalistic Magi, God is neither male nor female, rather Hermes and Aphrodite dance as one and are called Hermaphrodite and/or the Divine Creative. More to research for those who dare!
To continue, the interest of the 8 of Disks, is a more common interest, as the Sun in Virgo suggests birth, fruitfulness, and supply. Thus, the Disks are arranged as flowers and fruits of a Tree, whose trunk is the "Middle Pillar" with both left hand path (female) and right hand path (male) fructification represented as eight flowers; the figure eight is also the figure of feminine form and masculine force in union, i.e. the "Twisted Circle of One who is Two" and/or a Mobius loop. All of which reinforces the notion of birth and fruitfulness of a Great Tree whose solid roots are in fertile land.
When the 8 of Disks or Pentacles, is thrown during a reading, the querent shall be or will be experiencing:
- The fruits of their labor in the next or past, 8 weeks or 8 months.
- This card suggests skill, cunning, and prudence in material matters.
- However, there is a tendency to be "penny wise and pound foolish", which is being over-careful in small mater at the expense of the great.
- Thus, there is a gain of ready money in small sums, rather than the larger gain suggested in the 9.
- Industriousness, especially in land cultivation is also suggested by the 8.
- The ability to accept struggle as the means of learning and diligently applying what is learned, is also suggested by this card.
- In the Western culture, we are often taught that "smartness and talents" are inherited, this is a fallacy invented by the lazy, for What looks like talent, is more often than not, a long struggle before accomplishment.
- Those who have the ability to struggle have the emotional power to accomplish anything.
- However, there are those who reincarnate, and bring their past diligent struggle, as talented performance in this life, but still, it was a diligent struggle "once upon a time".
- That in the next 8 weeks or 8 months you can experience the harvest of your skill, prudence and wisdom. All from your organizing or attending to details.
- This card may also mean that all that you have learned or are learning will facilitate new growth in a skillful financial endeavor in the next 8 weeks or 8 months especially if you pay attention to details.
- This financial endeavor could involve Virgo people ( August 21 to September 21) or harvesting a fertile relationship with important Virgo people in your life.
- This card represents a wise state of mind that operates from a foundation of prudence, centered integration, and order rather than from chaos.
- That Prudence is a short term focus on the small details, baby steps rather than a long term goal.
- After about 8 wks or 8 months, there will be good influences to start a utilizing your learning as a skill in business or career.
- This is a card of "talent" (which means hard work on the details) and shows the possibility of turning a skill or talent into a profession, or money earned.
- The 8 of Disks card is about turning all that learning the details, into beginning a profession; from student to beginning Master Craftsmanship.
- 8 of Disks also calls for caution, for Prudence overdone, resists change and the ability to move with the changes, is success but to resist change can only bring failure.
- The important message here is to at first pay attention to the details and then focus on the big picture to insure success.
- If ill dignified by the accompanying cards, avariciousness, mean-hoarding, and lacking in enterprise, are suggested.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.