The Qabalistic Thoth Tarot of the Hermetic Qabalah: THE 4 of WANDS-Completion & the Night Sun Tarot-4 of Wands.
The dominant symbols of Aries, the Ram and Venus, the Dove, on both cards make it is easy to see that this card is attributed to the planet Venus in the Sign of Aries. Venus in Aries, indicates that one's work can't be accomplished without tact and gentleness.The symbol for Venus, is upper left and the symbol for Aries, is upper right on the Night Sun Tarot-4 of Wands.
The 4 of Wands-, is attributed to Chesed in the Suit of Fire. Chesed (Mercy) is the Lord of all manifested active power because the will of the Two (Kether-Chokmah) has been transmitted through the Three, Binah of the Supernal Triangle and has now become a solid system in the Four -The Ethical Triangle composed of Geburah, Chesed and Tiphareth; The Four Fives, the Four Fours and the Four Sixes-respectively.
In the Thoth 4 of Wands, the wands are all touching the circle representing a completion and limitation of the original work. In the center, where all wands meet, we see 8 flames (4 doubled) which indicates a balance has been maintained by the Original Will without any need to go beyond this limited scope. Limitation is required to make form; However, once energy is held at an abeyance Divine Severity (friction), that is known in Qabalah as #5 Geburah instigates change and entropy begins to take over, so completion will degrade into disorder as the second law of thermodynamics states.
Again,The Qabalistic Tarot- 4 of Wands refers to Chesed (Mercy) in the suit of Fire and is assigned the planet Jupiter. This represents the manifestation of all active power below the Abyss. Therefore, the Night Sun Tarot, shows a completed square of serpentine wands, suspended in a abysmal- fiery sky, full of sacred geometry, with the heart in the center. The Heart, is used to traditionally represent the Soul. Here, we have Venus in Aries, the "married couple" of Myth known as Venus and Mars. So either, the love of both is the heart, or the author of the card, Fabio Listrani, is implying that the Anima (Spirit) and Animus (Soul) are in loving union here, just as seen on the Dove-Ram headed wands of the Thoth Card.
The Will of the 2 of Wands, Dominion, has been transmitted through the 3 of Wands-Virtue and has become a solid system, such as Order, Law and Government in the 4 of Wands, which is also attributed to the Emperor key 4.
The Ram headed wands are sacred to Chesed, "the Divine Architect", while the Dove is sacred to Venus, who is love and beauty. The Circle shows the completion of and limitation of the original work, as fours are the number of completed form. The flames show the balance of the energy applied.
In both Tarot and Numerology, the number 4 resonates with the vibrations and actions of practicality, organization and exactitude, service, patience, devotion, application, pragmatism, patriotism, dignity, trust, worthiness, endurance, loyalty, mastery, building solid foundations, conservatism, determination, production and hard work. The number 4 also relates to high morals, traditional values, honesty and integrity, inner wisdom, security, self-control, loyalty, conscientiousness, reality and realistic values, stability, ability and "the salt of the earth" personality. Number 4 vibrates with the attributes of progress, management, justice, seriousness, discipline, system and order, maintenance, constructiveness, dependability, conviction, passion and drive, the world, completion, practice, repetition, realization of power, ability to use practical thinking, basic form of order, prepare for renewal, instinctual knowledge. According, to numerologists, number 4 also relates to the forces of the archangels, since they are the embodiment of the "law" of the formative world of Yetzirah, which is the triangle formed by #4-Chesed, #5 Geburah and #6 Tiphareth.
When thrown during a divination the 4 of Wands card implies :
- Settlement, arrangements completed, Perfected work.
- Since much energy went into establishing such work it also symbolizes a completion of a work within 3 weeks or 3 months, built up with trouble and labor.
- It is also rest after labor.
- There is also a degree of subtlety, cleverness, and mirth in this card as the Aries Ram is involved.
- Venus insures beauty, and success in completion.
- Conclusions drawn from previous knowledge attribute to a healthy reasoning faculty.
- Perfected work of a thing built up by troubled labor. Rest after labor.
- Being Chesed (Wisdom) in the sign of Fire, there is cleverness, subtlety, mirth and beauty as attributes of this card.
- The querent is showing a high reasoning capacity by using conclusions based on experience.
If ill dignified:
- Sometimes insincere, not ready, unreliability, unsteady, through over anxiety.
- Can also mean hurried action.
- It behooves the reader of Tarot, to understand that this is a lot of power formed into work that will go no further---it is done.
- There will be moments of surprise, causing unreliable and unsteady behavior through bouts of over anxiety.
- Basically this card states that." Through struggle and diligent hard labor, goals have been achieved.......now new goals must be made. "
*Note the blog is an extension of the long going blog on eli-lsmerchantile.com. Just click on the link to see much more.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper!