Tarot of the old path-three of pentacles
The Tarot of the Old Path, Three of Pentacles is the Thoth Tarot- 3 of Disks-Works.
In the Three of Pentacles, we have an apprentice perfecting the art of his chosen profession through repetition.
He is dressed in the green color of the earth element which rules this card.
With quill pen in hand, he draws with greater dexterity and confidence, each repetition of three pentacles; the number three implying the three stages of Goddess as Maid, Mother and Crone.
The primary meaning of this Three of Pentacles seems to be that of a time of apprenticeship where one is developing satisfaction gained from effort and creative talent.
thoth- 3 of Disks-works
The Thoth-3 of Disks is also called the Three of Pentacles in the Golden Dawn and Rider-Waite-Smith Tarot decks.
The 3 of Disks is named Works, and the Lord of Material Works. The astrological attributes of this card are Mars in Capricorn.
For those interested in in-tonal vibration the Angels of the Decan are Yechevah and Lehachiah.
The 3 of Disks-Works, is the influence of Binah in the Material world that Qabalists call Assiah.
Capricorn is an Earth sign, and the effect of Mars on Capricorn is to bring great discipline and control in material things, such as employment, business, and building construction.
Crowley illustrated this card based on 3, showing 3 wheels at 3 points in the pyramid. This grouping of 3, is shown in Alchemy as Mercury, Sulfur, and Salt; or in Qabalah as the maternal letters Shin (Fire) Mem (Water) and Aleph (Air). If you are interested in Hindu systems, the number 3 represents the Tattvas, Agni, Jal, and Varun. The Pyramid arises out of a Great Sea, which represents Binah the Third Sephira on the Tree of Life. This card also represents the Material establishment of the Universe as determined by its basic form of 3, Maid, Mother and Crone. The influence of Mars is shown as the red tint on the wheels/disks. Works is about the Great Work of "As above, so below".
When the Three of Disks or Pentacles is thrown during a reading:
- The querent giving full commitment to a situation and is unconcerned about difficulties.
- is aware of responsibilities
- Planning secure structures in areas of finance, physical security, and needs.
- Right effort towards a wise end in trade, skilled labor, Etc.
- A basic form or structure may be finished, needing only final changes.
- Approval from others who appreciate the demanding work and the success that the querent has achieved.
- In a more spiritual reading, where the cards surrounding show most of the Major Arcana, the querent is engaged in the Great Work of "As above and so below", by expressing the Higher Self.
- Material gain because of creative skills within a 3 wk or 3-month time frame.
- Love of one's creations, and nurturing others who assist in the work.
Thank you for your interest, comments, and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper!