Above all things, know thyself!
Thoth- 8 of Swords-Interference
#8. I look forward with confidence to the perfect realization of the eternal splendor of the limitless light.
Triple Goddess Tarot- 8 of Swords
The 8 of Swords-Interference, is in the 8th Sephira -Hod on the Qabalistic Tree of Life, which is called Splendor. Splendor signifies lack of persistence in intellectual and matters of contest. Splendor, is cosmetic and has little depth of character. However, ruling this astrological Decan, is Jupiter in Gemini, thus good fortune may have attended even weakened efforts. However, Gemini has its own contest, which is constantly interfering with the Will. "The will is constantly thwarted by accidental interference."[Crowley-Book of Thoth, pg., 207]. THE 8 OF SWORDS- Interference, is also called The Lord of Shortened Force. As stated, this card is attributed to Jupiter in Gemini, and Jupiter's natural expansiveness is in determent in Gemini, as the duality of Gemini affects Jupiter's positive energy scattering half one way and half the other.
Here, Hod is in Yetzirah, the Astral World. The angels of the Decan are, Vemibael and Yehohel.
This lack of focus, requires us to add correctional software to our brain's programing; one such correctional software package, is the study of the Gnostic Qabalah where "above all things, know thyself" is the foundational focus of the I AM. Rather than, "thyself is made by the acquiring of more things and titles" which only produces impoverished thoughts based on " I don't have so I must have”. (In the study of Yoga, the Sanskrit word for this impoverished thinking is Neti-Neti, which means “not this-not that”.) The solution to this mental fuzz, is focusing on one thing at a time and to stop seeking happiness as if the accumulation of things or worded accolades will cure this dysfunction. This may sound easy, but requires intense sensual intimacy with love of being yourself without the splendor of words while being in love of with what you are doing. After all, happiness is an inner-self and outer-self harmony and not a clutter of things.
Because of Gemini's desire to go one way than the other, the benevolent forces of Jupiter are shortened and scattered, becoming erratic and unstable. This is indeed an interference when trying to focus one's consciousness on a goal. Yes, it can be an intense and positive beginning, as the forces of Jupiter are most fortunate but it soon loses momentum in misdirection. Crowley/Harris illustrates this in the 8 of Swords, as 2 strong and long main swords, (unconscious and waking consciousness) being crossed (as in Crossed-up) by 6 short swords of different designs (scattered thoughts). The shorter swords also imply, shortened force, narrowness and restriction. There is a definite lack of persistence in intellectual matters and of contest.
As stated, Jupiter's natural good fortune still attends even the weakest of efforts, yet the will is constantly thwarted by accidental interference. One must learn patience and persistence to thwart the influence of this interference, which is mostly caused by one's reaction to the outside environment. Expectations are also an interference to clear vision when they are not met. Spirit is action and while the brain is reaction. Hence Spirit's fiery association with Will and focused meditation are known functions. When will is exercised over ego, and applied with focused meditation (or Skying Tarot Cards) , spirit brings with it a certain perspicacity unknown to the brain that is clear-seeing and active in changing , if not ignoring environmental influences, especially the interference called "peer pressure" .
The Thoth 8 of Swords, does not show us much patience or persistence. If its influence is to be overcome, one must develop the positive traits of will and focus . Otherwise, everything in one's environment will severely interfere with one's motion as we spend so much time overthinking everything, we just "spin our wheels" in the mental- mud of our own making.
The Triple Goddess Tarot-8 of Swords, displays this interference image as the Crone (of maid-mother-crone) blindfolded and walking through an overgrown field of grass unsuccessfully searching for individual swords (thoughts). The blindfold, is interfering with her sight and it signifies a closed identity. One whose progress is interfered with by their closed and therefore, blinded mind.
The 8 of Swords also implies:
- A certain amount of fear of change, of moving out of a binding or restricting situation.
- The Positive side of this is that change, no matter how resisted, will soon come anyway.
- The Good Fortune of Jupiter, will show up.
- Stop wasting time and proceed with change, your scattered efforts to stop it, only interfere with your wholesome transition.
- Experiencing confusion, and a feeling of being trapped, isolated by oppressive ideas.
- Feeling trapped or ashamed, are the beginnings of recognizing the need for change, and moving on ward with your life.
- The mental dissolution or loss of faith in situations or ideas, is a sure sign of progress beyond the old way of thinking.
- For 8 weeks 8 months or since they were 8 years old, narrow and restrictive thought.
- Shortened Force and petty thinking.
- Too much force applied to small things, too much attention to detail, at expense of principal and/or more important points of thought.
- There is a tenancy to admire wisdom, yet applies it to small and unworthy objects.
- The querent may experience great ease in some things, counterbalanced by equal disorder in others and is often impulsive.
- There is a fondness of giving or receiving money, or presents promoting a generosity without a strong feeling of affection.
When ill-dignified by the accompanying cards, the above qualities produce:
- Malice, pettiness, and domineering qualities.
- Mental blocks.
- Rigid thinking.
- Avoiding responsibility.
Thank you for your interest, comments, and supportive donations. Your generosity blesses you. May you live long and prosper.
For more information on Western Hermetic Thoth tarot card Readings and/or Thoth Tarot Classes just log on to my website-elitarotstrickingly.com- and click on the Tarot Pricing page. Thank you.