8 of Disks-Prudence:
The Thoth 8 of Disks represents talent, skill, craft, learning, and practical ideas being turned into a profitable profession. This is the craftsman card, or if you are of Wicca persuasion , card of the Craft.
The card itself represents the harvest tree where hard work and skill have become fruitful and now you only need await the ripening of the harvest. Also, this can be called the Master’s card, as mastery of a skill is depicted here; Skillful manipulation of physical material with talented fingers along with prudent thoughts and the wisdom to coordinate both. The number 8 is a *material balance number and therefore, goes well with disks which represent the spinning atoms of matter.
*What is the definition of 8 in Numerology? Of all the numbers in Numerology, the number 8 is the achiever and measures life by the goals it reaches. It has good business sense, a powerful presence, and a strong drive for success. The 8 is also a symbol of balance -- you can see it in its symmetrical shape.Number 8 Meaning in Numerology
At the top of this colorful card is the Sun sign and at the bottom of the harvest tree is the astrological sign of Virgo. Virgo reminds us that by attending to details and utilizing our organizational skills, we shall repeat the just harvest. Trust in your skills is the foundation of this harvest rather than the need for control; only a deep abiding trust in your skills will reap the just reward as harvest follows the ordered skill of the prudent mind.
Prudence and wisdom are qualities of patient skill, not pushing to make things happen nor holding back or resisting. The coins have blossomed, the patient skill of wisdom and prudence has prevailed and the successful harvest is shown by the protective leaves that hold back chaos. There is no place for doubt in this card it is a manifested Trust of skill.
Again, the Thoth 8 of Disks is called PRUDENCE, Crowley's disks are Pentacles or Coins, in other decks. However, I also find Disks to be an appropriate symbol, as disks must be stabilized by a spinning motion, a circular rotational force, in order to hit their mark. Even the atoms of rocks are spinning in a centrifugal manner, so when representing the earthly powers, the spinning of the Disk, with its internal spin best shows force and form as one presence in the crystalline light, again showing us that solids are just illusions of electric motion held within a magnetic vessel.
The 8 of Disks-Prudence, is Hod (Splendor) in Assiah, the material World. The angels of this Decan are; Akaiah and Kehethel. The twisted trunk of the fruitful tree depicts the female and male aspects of the One Mind -0=2, that are joined together in harmonic creation.
Virgo is noted to be a very practical sign which tends to cause over-concern with small details and
because this is an eight, of material achievement and measurement, that often, any gain prudence gives is painstakingly laborious , making Prudence no great virtue. The message in divination, is that of skill, prudence, and over-carefulness about small things, at the expense of the larger. But because Hod is represented by Mercury and Mercury is exalted in Virgo, there is also predilection for intelligent and loving involvement in material matters such as, agriculture, artistic craftsmanship, and engineering. The ruler-ship of the Sun in Virgo suggests birth, as well, therefore the disks are arranged in the *Gemantic figure Populus. These disks are then shown as flowers of a Great Tree, rooted solidly in fertile lands.
*While the term populous means “people” in Latin, this geomantic figure is almost exclusively a symbol that represents independent learning. The formation of the dots creates the appearance of many people standing together, some could say in a line.Populus: Awaken your magick powers - Auntyflo.com
The Tarot of Druids, is also about accomplished work and craft. Here team work imparts good social growth. Depicted on this Celtic card, is a Druid-priest holding high, the sacred Anguinum (serpent egg) blessing the raising of a henge stone by a group of stone masons and builders. This is generally "pay attention to the details" kind of work, for one missed detail could be responsible for certain death. Prudence is definitely required here.
When the 8 of Disks is thrown during a reading, the querent is in:
- A moment of creative birth of 8 weeks or 8 months, requiring the practice of physical caution, carefulness, and prudence.
- A type of physical wisdom radiating from an inner place of balance and integration.
- Making sure that all the bases are covered; every "t" crossed and every "I" dotted.
- Making intelligent choices so that the material world more closely conforms to one's needs.
- The possibility of turning a talent or skill into a profession.
- Skill in work with energy and forms, such as fingers working on a manipulative substance.
- That in the next 8 weeks or 8 months you can experience the harvest of your skill, prudence and wisdom. All from you’re organizing or attending to details.
- This card may also mean that all that you have learned or are learning will facilitate new growth in a skillful financial endeavor in the next 8 weeks or 8 months especially if you pay attention to details. This financial endeavor could involve Virgo people (August 21 to September 21) or harvesting a fertile relationship with important Virgo people in your life.
- This card represents a wise state of mind that operates from a foundation of prudence, centered integration, and Order rather than from chaos.
- New acquaintances.
- Social growth.
If ill defined by the surrounding cards:
- Focusing too tightly on the small details and not seeing the big picture!
- Economic problems.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. Your generosity blesses you. May you live long and prosper.