Thoth- 8 of Swords- Interference
The 8 of Swords-Interference, is in the 8th Sephira -Hod on the Qabalistic Tree of Life, which is called Splendor. Splendor signifies lack of persistence in intellectual and matters of contest. Splendor, is cosmetic and has little depth of character. However, ruling this astrological Decan, is Jupiter in Gemini, thus good fortune may have attended even weakened efforts. However, Gemini has its own contest, which is constantly interfering with the Will. "The will is constantly thwarted by accidental interference."[Crowley-Book of Thoth, pg., 207]
This constant distraction of the intellect is shown by the 6 Crossing Swords between 2 major Swords signifying too many different thoughts to consider at the same moment. The Thoth 8 of Swords, is also in the Suit of Air, which blows wherever it may. All of this contradiction well displays the mental conflict that comes from splendorous displays of intellectual thought. In such a shallow display, the faux intellectual must constantly babble on with gaudy words and hollow concepts that have very little mental "nutrition". This is a common disease of the human ego run brain that prods our personalities on with a shot gun blast of thoughts, scattering our intellectual strength so that our thought is too weak to go the distance. This dysfunction serves the “slave masters” that indoctrination us but makes nervous wrecks of our bodies. Many of us are taught, that to be ignorant or incorrect, is bad and the ego-brain wishes to be good and well liked, so it does everything it can to impress other ego- brains; hoping for a "pat on the back". This tends to "narrow and restrict" the brain-mind, so that all we hear are the echoes of many thoughts rattling around in our tinny head. It is not that such a person is "closed minded" it's just that there is such a cacophony of rapid fire thoughts that the person's brain is closeted in mental noise. Such mental interference often assaults the individual's moments of mental repose; sleeping and meditation becomes a contest between will and brain making both sleep and meditation weak attempts.
This lack of focus, requires us to add correctional software to our brain's programing; one such correctional software package, is the study of the Gnostic Qabalah where "above all things, know thyself" is the foundational focus of I AM. Rather than, "thyself is made by the acquiring of more things and titles" which only produces impoverished thoughts based on " I don't have so I must have”. (In the study of Yoga, the Sanskrit word for this impoverished thinking is Neti-Neti, which means “not this-not that”.) The solution to this mental fuzz, is focusing on one thing at a time and to stop seeking happiness as if the accumulation of things or worded accolades will cure this dysfunction. This may sound easy, but requires intense sensual intimacy with love of being yourself without the splendor of words and in love of with what you are doing.
Again, THE 8 OF SWORDS- Interference, is also called The Lord of Shortened Force. This card is attributed to Jupiter in Gemini, and Jupiter's natural expansiveness is in determent in Gemini, as the Duality of Gemini affects Jupiter's positive energy scattering half one way and half the other.
Here, Hod is in Yetzirah, the Astral World.
The angels of the Decan are, Vemibael and Yehohel.
Because of the desire to go one way than the other, the benevolent forces of Jupiter are shortened and scattered, becoming erratic and unstable. This is indeed an interference when trying to focus one's consciousness on a goal. Yes, it can be an intense and positive beginning, as the forces of Jupiter are most fortunate but it soon loses momentum in misdirection. Crowley illustrates this in his 8 of Swords, as 2 strong and long main swords, (unconscious and waking consciousness) being crossed (as in Crossed-up) by 6 short swords of different designs (scattered thoughts). The shorter swords also imply, shortened force, narrowness and restriction. There is a definite lack of persistence in intellectual matters and of contest. Jupiter's natural good fortune still attends even the weakest of efforts, yet the will is constantly thwarted by accidental interference. One must learn patience and persistence to thwart the influence of this interference.
Gothic Tarot- VIII of Swords
The Gothic Tarot- VIII of Swords, displays one ornate sword and 8 feathers. I would venture to guess that what we have here is 8 different judgments of the same thought. That would describe interference,
The 8 of Swords also implies:
- A certain amount of fear of change, of moving out of a binding or restricting situation.
- The Positive side of this is that change, no matter how resisted, will soon come anyway.
- The Good Fortune of Jupiter, will show up.
- Stop wasting time and proceed with change, your scattered efforts will not stop it, only interfere with your wholesome transition.
- Experiencing confusion, and a feeling of being trapped, isolated by oppressive ideas.
- Feeling trapped or ashamed, are the beginnings of recognizing the need for change, and moving on ward with your life.
- The mental dissolution or loss of faith in situations or ideas, is a sure sign of progress beyond the old way of thinking.
- · For 8 weeks 8 months or since they were 8 years old, narrow and restrictive thought.
- Shortened Force and petty thinking.
- Too much force applied to small things, too much attention to detail, at expense of principal and/or more important points of thought.
- There is a tenancy to admire wisdom, yet applies it to small and unworthy objects. The querent may experience great ease in some things, counterbalanced by equal disorder in others and is often impulsive.
- There is a fondness of giving or receiving money, or presents promoting a generosity without a strong feeling of affection.
When ill-dignified by the accompanying cards, the above qualities produce:
- Malice, pettiness, and domineering qualities.
- Mental blocks.
- Ridged thinking.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. Your generosity blesses you. May you live long and prosper.