Tarot Card Comparisons: Thoth Tarot- 8 of Swords: Interference.
The 8's of Tarot:
The Four 8's are attributed to Hod- eighth Sephiroth--Splendor, on the Tree of Life. Since Hod is in the same plane as the 7's (Netzach-victory) the same weaknesses, impurities and/or defects that are in the 7's will apply. Yet, in a sense, the alleviation of the 7's weakness is also being applied in the 8's. One might say that the mischief has been done and there is an action against it; much like white blood cells starting their attack against an intruder in the blood stream. Not a total cure, but a beginning in that direction. Purity won't be reached until the 9', so the process of purity is begun in the 8's.
The Thoth-8 OF SWORDS-Interference, is also called The Lord of Shortened Force.
This minor arcana tarot card is attributed to Jupiter in Gemini, and Jupiter's natural expansiveness is in determent in Gemini, as the duality of Gemini affects Jupiter's positive energy scattering half one way and half the other. Also, Hod is in Yetzirah, the Astral-Formative World, the world noted for mental deception and phantoms of fantasy.
The angels of the Decan are, Vemibael and Yehohel.
Because of Gemini's desire to go first one way than the other, the shortened benevolent forces of Jupiter are scattered, erratic and unstable. This is indeed an unconscious interference when trying to focus one's consciousness on a goal. Yes it can be an intense and positive beginning, but it soon loses momentum in misdirection, as 90% of our operational thought is under the auspices of the unconscious and therefore, automatically done without conscious thought.
Crowley illustrates this in his 8 of Swords, as two strong and long main swords, being crossed ( as in Crossed-up) by six short swords of different designs representing scattered thoughts. The shorter swords also imply: shortened force, narrowness and restriction. There is a definite lack of persistence in intellectual matters and of contest. Jupiter's natural good fortune still attends even the weakest of efforts, yet the will is constantly thwarted by accidental interference.The Center of the Thoth Card is dominated by two downward pointing long swords. They are being crossed by six small swords , implying many small thoughts interfering with the larger issues. It is interesting to note that these small swords are peculiar to countries or cults, such as the Kris, the Kukri, the Scramasax, the Dagger, the Machete and the Yataghan; implying that outside interference, such as indoctrination, theology, culture and mental abuse, could be the cause of difficulties.
Swords are the Suit of Air which is the suit of Mind, intellect, and conscious and traditionally the suit of death. As stated: The 8 of Swords, is of the 8th Sephira-Hod, which means splendor which is all about the cosmetics of pretense. This signifies a genuine lack of persistence in matters of intellect and contest. Yet, as stated, the 8 of Swords is also attributed to Jupiter in Gemini, so good fortune attends even the weakest effort; However. the Will is being constantly thwarted by accidental interference from the unconscious mind's automatic reactions.
Since, mental interference is signified here, this is a sign of an active mind, that dashes about between thoughts and is unable to complete anything of significance. Projects lie about half done, confusion is rampant about what is most important and what is not. In Eastern philosophy this is called the Neti-Neti mind (translates to ; Not this-Not that). This card represents the over analytical, non-trusting mind where survival thinking has become the foundation of creative thought brought on by feeling vulnerable and the self-doubt incubated by fear of discomfort. Therefore the 8 of Swords card says,"Stop! Now is the time to wait, sort out priorities rather than act automatically."
Running from thought to thought not trusting your opinion of which is best or more certain of creating your survival dreams, accomplishes only creative mental interference, scattering one's ability to act. Hence, nothing can be completed. Now if the underlying cause of all this scattered thinking is in the "pursuit of happiness", one must stop and consider that mental happiness comes from a state of I AM Me----not from a state of "I Am not or I lack". It is time to stop seeking and focus on your inner self. Often, just by declaring," I Am the happiness I am seeking", stops the seeking of happiness that often interferes with our focused creative motion. I Am is everyone's first name/identity, as it is the Identity of the The Divine Creative, whose presence in us is known as the I AM. As many of us find out, Imagination, which creates the image- of Self, knows no boundaries and any idea will suffice as an act of creative splendor. The consciousness, must be in active communication with the unconsciousness, if imagination is to be focused on discerning thought. Hence, the practice of meditation, tarot skrying etc..., is used to alleviate the problem of a noisy brain. In our modern world of Media controlled identity, Peer pressure, and Pavlovian indoctrination, just knowing one's self is often hard to do, let alone what is life expanding and liberating thought. Hence, half the time, we don't even know what we are declaring into manifestation as our selves! Anything we start with "I AM" is a command to the image-maker (imagination) within, to build as our outer presence and/or "Me". One must be very careful about what they declare and must not react to the declaration of others!
"Happiness built me so it could be me." is a realization that has personally changed my life---it's time to focus on this fact as you are a simulation of the Greater Self, i.e., I AM and in Qabalah's philosophy, it is understood that-God doesn't build what God doesn't want!
The Thoth card helps us see that it is not what we do that makes us happy----it is the communication between our inner and outer-self that is important. Again the Tarot aids us in the spiritual axiom," Above all things, know thyself." The object of "the few who wish to rule the many", is to interfere with this inner and outer self communication. So that you can be a person of man made-splendor, a superficial material based persona, rather than the Real Persona of your Soul.
When the 8 of Swords card is thrown it points to the astrological aspect of Jupiter in Gemini; Jupiter being the planet of growth and expansion and when linked with Gemini this union requires us to weight different possibilities. Gemini is is the sign of the "twins" and is displayed, along with the sigil for Jupiter on the Thoth card.
To reiterate: To a Hermetic Qabalist, 8 of Swords is Hod (Splendor) in Yetzirah ( Astral World). Splendor, which is seen as a "egoistic showing off", a kind of ,"look how beautiful am I" . Splendor is the state of energy conscious that decorates creation with all it's beautiful colors and plumage. But in this case, the normal brief intense and positive influence of Jupiter is driven to chaotic twists and turns by the dual directions of Gemini. This Interferes with a type of order established by Jupiter, the resulting misdirection makes nothing complete.
The divinity meaning of the 8 of Swords card is; shortened force, narrowness, restriction as in a mental prison.
There is a desire here to expand any duality but all indications are over-analysis, doubt
or confusion, interfering with a choice being made. What can't be overstated is that because of the assignation of Jupiter to this card, one knows that good fortune attends even these weakened efforts, life will go on; However, the Will is thwarted by accidental interference proposed by Gemini. Crowley knew this to be so, and made sure that each sword in this card was of a different appearance, signifying "many choices with out decision".
The 8 of Swords is not all negative, for it also signifies that the desire and possibility for resolution with in the next eight weeks or 8 months, does exist.
When thrown in a tarot divination, the 8 of Swords card signifies:
- Too many choices causing indecision, much like a squirrel caught trying to cross a busy four-lane highway, darting back and forth trying to figure out the right direction to go. This usually ends up as "road kill", so this card reminds us to sideline ourselves from our busy thought, and take a deep breath, center, and make a patient and insightful decision.
- Our thoughts often trick us into believing all of our decisions are life and death serious. By panicking and racing from one thought to another we are unable to see through the dust cloud of chaos.
- But if we take a moment and not interfere with our own decisions by mentally racing about, we'll see that very few thoughts are life and death decisions, they are more like choices and less like discomfort.
- The fear of not making the "right" choice, is often the interference one suffers from, causing indecision.
- The Eight of Cups reminds us to relax, in 8 weeks or 8 months all will become clear, and the dust will settle.
- In this case, the Rapid Rabbit looses the race to the Patient Tortoise who never loses sight of the goal and is willing to take one direction to get there.
- Over analyzing every thought to the point of inaction.
- The 8 of Swords reminds us to stop, slow down and refocus.
- In the next 8 weeks or 8 months you will either get the chance to slow down and refocus your thoughts or you will come to an understanding of your own mental interference and refocus.
- This could also mean that you must desist your uncertain and scattered thoughts about the Gemini people in your life (May 21 to June 21) by simply waiting and not taking any decisive action concerning them.
- Let go of fear and thoughts will become focused and future decisions will become clearer.
- Too much interference for proper decisions at this time.
- That in 8 weeks or 8 months, the querent has or will have experienced narrow or restricted thought that shortens their force, either in themselves or by a person important in their life.
- There will be pettiness, a mental prison, and too much force applied to small things.
- Over attentive in detail, at the expense of principal and more important issues.
- The above stated qualities will produce malice, pettiness, and domineering qualities, if ill dignified by surrounding cards.
- There is patience in detail of study, great ease in some things, counterbalanced by equal disorder in others.
- Being influenced by Gemini (The two long swords) there is always a equal and opposite balance, such as, impulsively being fond of giving or receiving money and/or presents.
- This person will be generous, clever, acute, selfish, and without strong feelings of affection.
- They will also admire wisdom but will apply it to small and unworthy objects.
- The 8 of Swords-Interference, also implies that the person has seen goals, but is approaching them, if at all, very slowly and needing to be very meticulous in doing so, because of the constant distraction of the many nagging, needling thoughts in their head.
- The goals will be achieved in time, by patience and attention to detail, which all would be sped up by being able to focus on the import issues at hand.
- Mental focus is recommended which can be acquired by practicing meditative yoga or the various martial arts, and/or mental meditative sciences such as Qaballah, Tantra, and Ti-Chi. Just pick one and do it!
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper!