The Rider-Waite card is again more prosaic and traditional as it shows a craftsman at his work on finishing one disk in great detail, while six are hanging and the seventh is on the floor, implying overreaching. The Divinatory meaning of the Waite card is, skill, prudence and over carefulness about small things, at the expense of the great.
The Thoth Tarot- 8 of Disks is called PRUDENCE. Disks are Pentacles or Coins, in other decks but the Thoth Disks is also an appropriate symbol, something on which Crowley and I both agree. Disks, as in Discus throwing, must be stabilized by a spinning motion, a circular rotational force, in order to hit their mark. Even the atoms of rocks are spinning in a centrifugal manner, so when representing the earthly powers, the spinning of the Disk, with its internal spin best shows force (male) and form (female) as a united presence in the crystalline light.
The Thoth 8 of Disks-Prudence, is the 8th Sephiroth, Hod-Splendor, a state of conscious energy in Assiah, the Qabalistic material World. The Sun is in Virgo and the angels of this Decan are; Akaiah and Kehethel.
Virgo is noted to be a very practical sign which tends to cause over-concern with small details.
Because this is an eight, any gain that prudence gives is soon dispersed making Prudence no great virtue.
The message in divination, is that of skill, prudence, and over-carefulness about small things, at the expense of the larger. But because Hod is represented by Mercury and Mercury is exalted in Virgo, there is also predilection for intelligent-loving craftsmanship, involving material matters such as, agriculture, artistic craftsmanship, and engineering.
The Ruler-ship of the Sun in Virgo suggests birth, as well, thus the Thoth disks are arranged in the Gemantic figure Populus ( Again, for further info on gemancy, get Crowley's book 777). Because of paying attention to the details, but prudently not getting lost in these details, these disks are then shown as flowers of a Great Tree, rooted solidly in fertile lands.
When the 8 of Disks or Pentacles is thrown during a reading, the querent is:
- In a moment of creative birth of 8 weeks or 8 months, requiring the practice of physical caution, carefulness, and prudence.
- Experiencing a type of physical wisdom radiating from a inner place of balance and integration.
- Making sure that all the bases are covered; every "t" crossed and and every "i" dotted.
- Making intelligent choices, like taking small steps instead of trying to do everything at once, thus making the material world more closely conform with one's needs.
- Experiencing the possibility of turning a talent or skill into a profession.
- Skill in work with energy and forms, such as fingers working on a manipulative substance.
- So focused on the minute they are unable to see the larger picture.
The negatives would be: Focusing to tightly on the small details and not seeing the big picture, causing them to never finish a project!
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper!