The Great Mother Intelligence is Binah, the Third Sphere/Sephiroth called Understanding on the Qabalistic Tree of Life. She is the Sanctifying Intelligence and as the Queen of Cups Binah is represented as the Queen of the Thrones of the Waters; Water being the flowing conscious/ Unconsciousness of the Universe; known as Imagination. Therefore, if you are into the Elemental Mysteries, The Thoth Queen of Cups represents the Queen of the Undines and Nymphs.
Astrologically, the Queen of Cups is in the last Decan of Gemini and the First two Decans of Cancer.
The Rider-Waite-Smith card concentrates on this aspect of tranquility. Here She is seat on a throne, on the banks of a tranquil river, with ornate moon chalice in hand. She uses this moon chalice, to see her visions.
Again, Waite and Smith, in their very ornate card, shows only the mundane meanings of this card. Medieval art rather than the Avant-garde art of Lady Frieda Harris's Qabalistic Thoth Deck. Lady Frieda Harris and Aleister Crowley went into the deeper arcane meanings of Qabalistic Tarot.
Every depiction in the Waite card says water, her clothing, the river and river bank and the Moon Chalice and the mer-children, one with a fish, images that decorates her throne .
The Queen of cups represents Specific Water in the Realm of Primal Water. In other words; She is the "will to form" intelligence that resides in the Divine Collective Unconscious. Here the "Will to Form" of Binah is "reflecting on consciousness" as an archetypal personality .
Crowley's Thoth card shows this reflective nature in an abstract way. Here The Queen is enthroned on still Water, her image is of purity and beauty and is robed in veils of pure light. Here the Truth of her is not seen by the observer, who can only see themselves in reflection.
In her hand is a shell like cup with a crayfish climbing out of it, a symbol relating to the Moon and its reflective qualities. Truth being, one of the characteristics of this card is that like water (consciousness), the flow changes according to the influences around it.
There is also an Ibis in abstraction shown on this card, Here, we see the influence of Thoth-Hermes . The Ibis is a traditional Egyptian symbol of this Moon God. Thus again the Male and Female influences are never separate.
Chokmah (the 2nd Sephiroth-Wisdom) is often represented as Python, the First Husband, thus as a snake or Serpent Force. In Mythology, the Ibis eats the eggs of the Snake, which relates to her "consuming the seeds of ideas" from Chokmah who is represented as Wisdom. However, the Ibis also consumes the corpses of the dead. This may seem contradictory, but the corpses of the dead are "Conscious seeds"; personalities recycled so that data is consumed and recycled in the Universal Unconscious. Thus we have reference to the Great Sea of Binah (Universal Unconscious) from which life flows out, and also flows back into. Here the Moon and the cycle of tides add to the Thoth Tarot image.
The Lotus is the Eastern Rose, and is the Sacred flower related to Great Mother Isis an Egyptian form of Binah. Rather than through the touch of her hand, as the Queen of Wands is shown controlling the Leopard, The Queen of Cups uses the intermediary of the Lotus (Womb) to cause the Ibis to do its work. The Tranquil waters, on which the Lotus float, are the means of force transmission.
The key characteristics to The Queen of cups, are dreaminess, illusion and tranquility. As is Water the perfect agent and patient solvent, the Queen of Cups, is able to receive and transmit everything with out affecting herself in so doing.
If the Queen of Cups is caused to be ill dignified by the accompanying cards in a reading, then everything is refracted and distorted, as she is directly affected by surrounding influences.
When the Queen of Cups is thrown during a reading:
- The querent is showing issues surrounding motherhood
- Suggesting emotional empowerment, as the querent is able to express feelings honestly, blamelessly and without judgment.
- Implies too much imagination about issues and not enough action taken to solve them.
- Emotional and Intuitive capabilities that show highly evolved interpersonal interactions and psychic abilities.
- Implies the querent is extremely empathetic and thus must watch out for moodiness and fluctuating feelings that often come from those around her.
- Suggests that one inspires from within and could be a time of Deep inner musings, thoughts focused within where the mind is engulfed in Imagination.
- That a mature woman of deep sexual and fertility powers, where everything in her life is related to nourishment, sexual exchange, passionate giving and receiving maybe involved in the life of the querent or is the querent.
- Motherhood, or new ideas formulating for a creative line of work.
- An ethereal person of the highest ideals imagined....sometimes unattainable in the physical world of constant change.
- Wisdom and virtue, Can denote a perfect spouse and a good mother.
Thank you for your interest,comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.
On October 1st, eli-lsmerchantile.com will be in a new format as: