The New Orleans Voodoo Tarot- Santería-Earth-Yemayá, represents the Voodoo Great Mother, Our lady of the Seas, powerful mistress of sorcery and of Ocean Storm. She represents the power and beauty and bounty of the Oceans and Seas. She may be the tender mother who reaches out to protect her children but she is also the taker of life. Yet she is forgiving, slow to punish even those who abuse her bounty or show total disregard for her clean seas by spoiling them with their refuse.
Yemayá has 7 aspects, including Olokum, the siren/mermaid/sorceress who abides on the dark bottom of the sea. In the Western Pantheon, she is compatible with Our Lady of Regla, and La Diosa del Mar, the Star of the Sea who is the patron of Brazil. Her color is blue, her number is 7 (that of Venus) and her collares are strung alternately with 7 blue and 7 white beads. She is also considered to be the Mother of the orisha (spirits of Santería).
One calls on Yemayá for protection, peace, benevolence, and wealth. Also when one needs nurturing or to secure the devotion of family. It is also popular to call on her when one is near the Ocean.
The Card depicts Yemayá as a beautiful and pregnant orisha standing in the foaming ocean, about to give birth. Hence, the primary attributes of this card are fertility and bounty.
When the 9 of Santería card is thrown in a divination, it implies:
- Pregnant with idea or child.
- A bequest of parental bounty.
The Thoth 9 of Disks card represents gain on all levels that are physical and that influence the physical; emotional gain, spiritual gain, mental gain and physical gain.
The 9 of Disks suggests hitting the mark. A bull’s eye card, that shows you are financially right on the mark because your heart mind and soul are in union. In other words, you are passionately focused and have enabled gain on all levels of performance. Astrologically, this is Venus in Virgo. Venus is beauty, love, and creative power while Virgo represents balance, order and organization. Together, the meaning is your heart and mind are passionately and beautifully harmonized (beauty is balanced symmetry). The results are gain on all levels of Soul-and body.
On this card the blue circle symbolizes wisdom linked with our loving nature, (the pink circle), in a creative way (which is the green circle). This card also shows us that by utilizing our dynamic creative male energy (shown as the top coins with the planetary signs of Saturn, Mars, and Jupiter) we shall experience such gain.
- Saturn is the sign of the helmeted warrior who knows what his limits and boundaries are and paying attention to detail;
- The feathered cap symbol of Mars indicates that energy, vitality and assertion are a vital part of gain.
- Jupiter, the King, reminds us that flexibility, being open to opportunity that expands our leadership skills that are also needed to experience gain. But this is only half of gain, to be complete we need the feminine power of Maid, Mother and Crone, which are represented by the lower three coins.
- The Maid is the youthful bare headed feminine figure that is the power of Venus and reminds us that to follow our heart.
- The coin with the Feminine figure that has a Queen's hat (Mother) is Mercury, and reminds us that communication skills and nurturing leadership skills are needed to experience gain.
- The feminine figure with the Crescent Moon headdress is the Wise Woman (Crone) who reminds us that we must be true to ourselves and to be authentic in our actions.
The Moon also symbolizes both the outer world and the inner world showing a balance of inner (heart) and physical action that will help us experience gain. The Thoth 9 of Disks (Pentacles in Golden Dawn and Rider-Waite-Smith decks) is called, Lord of Material Gain, or Gain for short.
The Angels of the Decan are: Hazayel and Aldiah. This card is Yesod in Assiah and/or the influence of Yesod in the Material World. Yesod, meaning foundation, in the material world this influence is very favorable for amassing things, but with Venus in Virgo, there is a lack of overt feelings accompanying this great efficiency.
This efficient amassing of material things, is shown by the design complexity of Crowley's and Lady Frieda Harris's 9 of Disks. As Crowley states in his book of Thoth:
“The Disks are arranged as an equilateral triangle of three, apex upwards, close together; and surrounded at some distance by a ring, six larger disks in the form of a hexagram. This signifies the multiplication of the original established Word by the mingling of 'good luck and management'."
Which says it all for this card.
When the 9 of Disks-Gain, is thrown during a reading it implies:
- Inheritance and/or material gain, sometimes within 9 weeks or 9 months or the querent is experiencing it now for those time periods.
- A certain amount of Integrity, skill and talent has produced material gain and a sense of accomplishment.
- This is a purely material gain card, where talent and skill has come together in either a beginning stage of material gain or a good flowing gain on into wealth.
- That within the next 9 weeks or 9 months there is physical gain shown by organizing things and following your heart.
- You are to be dynamically assertive (electric male force) and magnetically receptive (female force) which is following your heart and what has deep meaning to you.
If ill defined by accompanying cards, it could mean a lack of discipline in material matters and the failure that comes with it.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.