new Orleans voodoo tarot-8 of Santeria-earth-shangó
The New Orleans Voodoo Tarot- 8 of Santería -Earth-Shangó, depicts a famous King of Guinée, whose rule began well, with wealth and victory in battle and whose power was great. He also mastered magic and his rule moved from benevolence to tyrannical. Because of his great power, he amassed many jealous enemies who burned down his palace as if hit by lightning. Shangó was dethroned and went into the jungle. Now some say he committed suicide by hanging himself. Others say that he did not hang, but rather ascended into heavens and/or he passed into the realm of the Invisibles where over time, he became a great loa.
Nobility is often called forth by tragedy as tragedy propels nobility to its full measure and Shangó is noble. Often knowledge comes from a fall, and Wisdom is 50% error and 50% correction. Therefore, the master's path is one of strife; a path less trodden. Shangó , a king of earthly power, was thrust into the greater power of the loa. One sees Shangó as the self-consciousness that has risen to great heights and that walking with great pride, stumbles over the thick growth of its own hubris. However, Shangó, is the consciousness working through earth. Hence, his grace is not so much of creation but more of administration. It is the wise administration of the elements, that benefits us all. There is a great warning in the story of Shangó. It should be obvious to us all, that when some, let's say the top 1%, have more than they need, then the lower 99% are going to have less than they need. And as history has shown, to emass too much, is to invite jealous retribution. According to the author, Louis Martinie, the story of Shangó can be taken 2 ways.
(1). If he amassed too much wealth, then he took on the form of the Hanged man (Zombi) and underwent enforced sacrifice.
(2). If he ruled in a wise fashion, then he went into the jungle, or deep places of the soul, and from there ascended to the heavens to rule with greater power and wisdom.
Therefore, the primary attributes of this card are wise rule and adherence to family obligations. So let's stop being self-absorbed, emotionally crippled children and look at our human family as one great family who belongs to one another.
When the 8 of Santería is thrown in a divination it implies:
- Family obligations fulfilled bringing bounty to all.
- Family obligations ignored bring destruction.
- Wise rule.
- Control of a situation used or misused.
- Excellent skill.
thoth-8 of Disks-Prudence:
The 8 of Disks represents talent, skill, craft, learning, and practical ideas being turned into a profitable profession.
The card itself symbolizes the harvest tree where hard work and skill have become fruitful and now you only need await the ripening of the harvest. This can be called the Master’s card, as mastery of a skill is depicted here; Skillful manipulation of physical material with talented fingers along with prudent thoughts and the wisdom to coordinate both.
At the top of this colorful card is the Sun sign and at the bottom of the harvest tree is the astrological sign of Virgo. Virgo reminds us that by attending to details and utilizing our organizational skills, we shall repeat the just harvest. Trust in your skills is the foundation of this harvest rather than the need for control; only a deep abiding trust in your skills will reap the just reward as harvest follows the ordered skill of the prudent self-consciousness.
Prudence and wisdom are qualities of patient skill, not pushing to make things happen nor holding back or resisting. The coins have blossomed, the patient skill of wisdom and prudence has prevailed and the successful harvest is shown by the protective leaves that hold back chaos. There is no place for doubt, as doubt has been overcome by patient practice, so in this card is represented a manifested Trust of skill.
The Thoth 8 of Disks-Prudence is decorated with disks rather than traditional Pentacles or Coins. However, this is not just artistic interpretation of Lady Frieda Harris's part, for Crowley thought Disks is more of an appropriate symbol; something on which Crowley and I both agree. Disks must be stabilized by a spinning motion; a circular rotational force, in order to hit their mark. Even the atoms of rocks are spinning in a centrifugal manner, so when representing the earthly powers, the spinning of the Disk, with its internal spin best shows force and form as one presence in the crystalline light of matter. Therefore, disks are showing us that solids are just illusions of electric motion held within a magnetic vessel.
The 8 of Disks-Prudence, is Hod in Assiah, the material World. The Sun is in Virgo and the angels of this Decan are; Akaiah and Kehethel.
Virgo is noted to be a very practical sign which tends to cause over-concern with small details.
Because this is an 8, any gain that prudence gives is soon dispersed, making Prudence no great virtue. The message in divination is often that of skill, prudence, and over-carefulness about small things, at the expense of the larger. However, there is another influence here, because Hod is represented by Mercury and Mercury is exalted in Virgo, so there is also predilection for intelligent loving, involving material matters such as, agriculture, artistic craftsmanship, and engineering. The Rulership of the Sun in Virgo suggests birth, as well. Thus, the disks are arranged in the Geomantic figure Populus. These disks are then shown as flowers of a Great Tree, rooted solidly in fertile lands. Hence, a solid personality built on patience skill of the Spirit-Mind Union. It behooves us to remember our personality is but a story we tell ourselves and one that we, the Psyche/Soul can change by patient skill and understanding.
When the 8 of Disks is thrown during a reading, the querent is in:
· A moment of creative birth of 8 weeks or 8 months, requiring the practice of physical caution, carefulness, and prudence.
· A type of physical wisdom radiating from an inner place of balance and integration. Making sure that all the bases are covered; every "t" crossed and every "I" dotted.
· Making intelligent choices so that the material world more closely conforms to one's needs.
· The possibility of turning a talent or skill into a profession.
· Skill in work with energy and forms, such as fingers working on a manipulative substance.
· That in the next 8 weeks or 8 months you can experience the harvest of your skill, prudence and wisdom. All from you’re organizing or attending to details.
· This card may also mean that all that you have learned or are learning will facilitate new growth in a skillful financial endeavor in the next 8 weeks or 8 months especially if you pay attention to details. This financial endeavor could involve Virgo people (August 21 to September 21) or harvesting a fertile relationship with important Virgo people in your life.
· This card represents a wise state of mind that operates from a foundation of prudence, centered integration, and Order rather than from chaos.
If ill defined by the surrounding cards:
- Focusing too tightly on the small details and not seeing the big picture!
- "A penny wise and a pound foolish"
- Becoming paralyzed in formalism...not seeing the forest through the trees.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.
helping people become more magic and less tragic since 2010