The New Orleans Voodoo Tarot- 7 of Rada-Air-Erzulie Freda Dahomey, is the Erzulie that governs the element of air in the emotions. Here is the Venus influence, both of splendor and superficiality, in the 7th Sephiroth of Netzach. With the lady shedding tears while being reflected in 2 mirrors, we see a metaphor for the fleeting, transitory and ever-shifting "airy" nature of emotions. Here is seen the futility of piling wish upon wish until the mounting pyramid of unattainable aspirations vents itself through the safety valve of realization and then comes the cleansing tears. On this New Orleans Voodoo Tarot Card, the tears of the maid, flow down collecting into a sea that the ship of Erzulie sets sail on. This ship of Erzulie, connects the emotional dream world of Erzulie with the deep and occult creative principles of the sea home of La Sirèn.
Here Erzulie is the Maid, the Virgin, meaning she carries a freshness or newness to experience within herself. Therefore, she carries a freshness that generates a ready desire to experience all the world has to give. Here, there is a longing that reflects the longing of the Visible world for its counterpart the Invisible World and that of the Invisible World for the joys of the physical world. The Power of Limitation gives one intimacy with all that the world has to offer.
Here, the emotions find no equilibrium as they fly one over the other in a mad dash towards an improbable goal. However, this isn't anything but an illusion, a reflection on futility, as Erzulie can move to the place where all is possible. Here she can "conceive beyond reality...desire beyond adequacy" (Deren, 1953, p. 138).
When we join the feminine and masculine aspects of Mind, aspects that are separated by dogma ,we become a One Great Power, whose wholeness is that of Anima-the Feminine Divine of intuition and the Animus-The Masculine Divine of rationale; a marriage that once consumated, shines a golden light on the best of all worlds that is created as a fractal of equalized influences of Fire, Water, Air and Earth, where we can choose the best of all possibility. But it is Erzulie's curse to then awake from her dreams and mourn the golden radiance of "what could have been", lost in the dull light of the Patriarch's sabotaging mind of constricted imaginings, and/or visions that pursue but never achieve happiness. Happiness is the internal dance of anima and animus, a dance that is not found in the external world of things. The nature of her tears. is that of resolution found in emotional catharsis. Powerful reserves of creative energy are often revealed in the venting.
When thrown in divination, the 7 of Rada implies:
- Imaginings beyond possibility.
- The jolt of shattered dreams.
The Thoth 7 of Swords-Futility card represents the sabotaging mind where you know what you want symbolized by the central sword and then go about defining the reasons why you can't obtain it, as shown by the 6 swords surrounding the central one. This is the yes-but mind that often keeps us from making our dreams work.
Astrologically the 7 of Swords is Moon and Sun in Aquarius, the circle with a dot in the center is a symbol of the Sun, the Crescent is the Moon and the wavy lines at the bottom are Aquarius. Each of the 6 swords of procrastination bear a planetary sign for the six ways we sabotage ourselves.
1. The yes-but aspect of Saturn is telling us there is too much red-tape or it's too complicated.
2. Another Sword has on the handle the symbol of Mercury which is about the negative communication of “I can't... I wish I'd a ...If only..." all negative reasons why "it won't work".
3. Another sword handle bares the planetary sign of Jupiter; the planet that symbolizes flexibility and expansion. The negative self-talk of Jupiter is “it’s too limiting and constricted" or” I am not lucky" or "I am not talented enough".
4. Another sword sports the planetary sign of Mars. Positively Mars is a sign of dynamic energy, vitality, and assertion but the negative side of Mars is " I don't have the energy to...I am burnt out...it's dull and boring etc."
5. Another sword handle is adorned with the sign of Venus; the planet of Love. The Venusian negatives would be," I really don't care...It doesn't mean anything to me anyway..."
6. Then there is the final sword whose handle supports the double loops which represent the Sun and the Moon the negatives of which are consciously and subconsciously you sabotage yourself out of doing what it is that you want to do. In other words, you are caught in wanna-be-ism which is a viscous cycle of mental inferiority, that leaves a hole to be filled causing one to consume the outer world and find it wanting.
Netzach is the 7th Sephiroth, Victory, and governs Love, feelings and instincts. It is the Group Mind Sephiroth, influencing Nature and the Arts.
As quoted from the texts of the Golden Dawn:
"The beams of Chesed and Geburah meet in Netzach and thence in Netzach arises a green, pure, brilliant, liquid, and gleaming like an emerald. And the Sphere of its operations is that of Nogah or External Splendor, producing zeal, love, harmony, and it ruleth the Sphere of Action of the Planet Venus and the nature of the Vegetable World. And Jehovah Tzabaoth is a God of Hosts and of Armies, of Triumph and of Victory, ruling the universe in Justice and Eternity. And its Archangel Hanial, is the Prince of Love and Harmony, and the Name of the Order of Angels is Elohim, or Gods who are also called the Order of Principalities."
The Thoth Tarot 7 of Swords, is called Futility or Lord of Unstable Effort. Here, the Moon is in Aquarius which indicates sociability, and religious inclinations; However, the fact that the Moon is less fluid and less changeable here than in other positions, doesn't keep the balance from being precarious and easily upset by the superficiality caused by the internal corruption of Venus.
This is Netzach in Yetzirah, influencing the Astral-Emotional- Formative World.
Green is the color attributed to Venus, the planet of Netzach. Love, feelings and instinct, the Group Mind, Nature, and the Arts, all radiate from this Sephiroth.
The Symbols for Netzach are The Girdle:
And the Lamp:
Netzach is the first Sephiroth of the astral triangle and is the first energy intelligence to make up the personality of the individual.
You may remember that I stated that the Personality is made up of the Four Alchemical Elements, each of which are represented by the lower Sephira, in the familiar sequence of Fire, Water, Air and Earth. Netzach is Fire, Hod is Water, Yesod is Air and Malkuth is Earth.
Netzach is the lower form of the fiery Yod of Chokmah that is reflected from Geburah through Tiphareth. This is the formula for Yod Heh Vau Heh, Malkuth being the final Heh, because of the "fall" which is really a condensing or "downsizing" of self.
In Netzach, normal waking consciousness of the student, must deal with the fluid flow of the Astral Triangle and the ambivalent component parts of the Personality, after all, we are not of the Personality for it is a creation of Our Spiritual Nature! Personalities are software programs that are created to operate the "wetware" called a body, and are supplanted in the brain to manipulate the physical body in the name of "I AM". However, if your original personality was cast aside as a way to avoid the discomforts of punishment and reward training, that divides and conquers your will; a dogma that was made for you out of the illusions, delusions, and ambitions of "Authority", you don't know the individual code and language that went into making the software your body is operating from; therefore you haven't a clue who is operating the body and in whose name is it operating,! Yet again the axiom of Qaballah: "Above all things, know thyself!" rings true!
The most important part of initiation is to observe the layers of lies, that your personality is constructed from, removing layer after layer of false you, until the real you shines true. This "Garbage in" is called man-made persona and the "Garbage out" is the dysfunctional action of "seeking yourself" in the eyes of your peers, or of authority. You are already divinely approved---you exist, and your Software for operating the Hardware, was already created by the Higher Self, out of its library of living experience which many call "the Soul".
Often, Mystery schools, such as The Golden Dawn, use a set of Tattva exercises as a type of "controlled daydream" (guided meditations), intended to bring the student into direct contact with the subtle Elemental realms immediately underlying the material sphere of sensation. Tarot exercises also easily achieve this goal.
It should be understood, that the astral realm beginning with Yesod and including Netzach and Hod, is a fluidic, non-solid realm where everything begins in illusion/dream. It is the place, where our Formative consciousness can experiment with image, such as children role-playing, in order to comprehend in a later stage of growth, the actual manifestation of being "that". If done with controlled will, this is a boon to any creative endeavor on Earth; if taken as rote,as if proclaimed by some divine deity, all hell will break loose in the physical realm, as the experiment is unwatched, as in "believed in" and left with its errors uncorrected.
The Astral is not a Master of your personality! Nor is anything that you contact in it! The Astral is your mental-emotional malleable substance to create with, not be created by! Most " Medium-Channels" just channel astral persona's, and live in an illusion of devotional thought, not allowing them to see that they are their own "holy' delusions.
We all must return consciously to the unconscious planes of the Astral and clean up our dream software,thus allowing the Above Intelligence to operate the Below intelligence for the purpose of expanding and liberating life from entropy’s stifling hold! It is futile to dream the impossible and expect it to come running into your physical arms.
When we are dealing with Netzach, we are dealing with understanding a particularly difficult State of energy conscious. Netzach is where both the Macrocosm and Microcosm meet; where the invisible meets the visible. Therefore, in Netzach, we are dealing with the understanding of the entire race patterns of humankind that are in the invisible cultural group soul and patterns of individual persona. But if that isn't enough, we must understand that this dichotomy is in itself an illusion!
On the Thoth 7 of Swords, Crowley has precariously balanced the 6 planetary swords, one against the other, aimed against the Larger Sun Sword. Implying unstable effort, vacillation and untrustworthy character.
You may note, dear reader, that Netzach in the suit of Swords, does not represent as much catastrophe as in other suits, as the Sephiroth of Venus means Victory. There is, however, a wish to compromise, a halting tolerance and a certain vacillation. When overdone, this need for compromise can bring disaster; not always does a policy of appeasement produce peace as any student of the World Wars knows.
The 6 Swords chipping away at the One Strong Sword, suggests a contest between the many feeble and the one strong. The Strong One strives in vain against the pusillanimity of the many.
When this card is thrown during a reading:
- The querent may be experiencing thoughts of futility. A sense of resignation produced by wanting something but believing they can't have it. Giving up.
- There is a possibility of breaking through this futile cloud, in 7 weeks or 7 Months.
- This card suggests that because of guilt feelings or resentment, the querent is creating problems for themselves.
- There is a certain craftiness displayed, schemes and actions are brought to bear, that solve nothing.
- There is an opportunity to regroup and review, if one forgoes the schemes and seeks advice from others.
- There is suggested that there is just too much noise in the brain for focused action, as many feeble thoughts of vacillation out shout the One strong will to act.
*Instead of the Power of I AM, we are caught in the self-denial of I ain’t... Often we run "mind loops" that constantly repeat our past as today's reason for not progressing or going forward with our life. These mind loops are the "slave driver within" syndrome that fear of discomfort often generates in our subconscious to avoid presumed pain.
- Have the opportunity in the next 7 weeks or 7 months to break out of self-imposed defeatism and move towards creating what one really wants.
- Know it’s time to "damn the torpedoes and go full steam ahead".
- Know and declare what you want, for that is the truth. The falsehood is the feeling of hopelessness and helplessness and believing you "can't have happiness". Happiness is an internal balance of Creativity and Reality, and doesn't exist in the outer world of chaotic pursuits.
- Remember that the 7's are associated with the Major Arcana card of the Charioteer, which is the originator of motion and change. So this card is not nagging at your weakness but advising you that choosing your wants, with discernment, moves you forward into a satisfying life motion and that you have the inherent power to do so.
- Have the capability to release sabotaging thought processes that were developed in a past that may go back to 7 years or when you were 7 years old.
- Focus on the truth of Self ; focus your heart, creative mind and passion on it, and your programed self-defeat won't be able to impede you; it’s just becomes white noise in the backwash of your powerful wake on the ocean of possibilities.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.