The New Orleans Voodoo Tarot- 4 of Rada-Water-Aqwé, is air of water.Water is the universal element of intuition, while Air is Intelligence/Mind. If you need a visual, where the horizon meets the Sea, is Aqwé and where his ship can be sighted. However, deep below on sea bottom, much like the legend of Davy Jones, he holds his banquets.
Aqwé's, opposite and/or lover is Erzulie, in her form as La Sirène. His primary point of manifestation is very accessible upon the surface of water. Naturally, it is in his power to make sailors safe. On the Western Qabalistic Tree of Life, his sailing positioned is between the internal inspiration provided by the Master of the Head-No. 5-and the worldly influences of The Market-No. 10. He not only can promise safe passage, but one's fortunes can safely be stowed in his ship's hold.
Aqwé is called on for safe passage over the Seas, and for protection of the sailing and motor vessels. He is syncretized with St. Ulrich.
When thrown in divination, the 4 of Rada implies:
- Quiet in the presence of a real or implied threat.
- Trust that matters will turn out for the best.
Chesed,the 4th Sephiroth, is the Universal Architect of mercy and form. Hence, the 4's suggest perfection, realization, completion and fixing a matter to a rock solid stability.
In the 4 of Swords, this stability is a form of Truce, where equal tension, makes a stability of mental and emotional powers.
The 4 of Swords represents Chesed in Yetzirah, influencing the astral world.
As you may know, mental creation happens in the fluid light of the Mental Astral World before the manifestation is solidified in the Material World (shown on card as star like forms in the background). Now you may not be able to clearly see that you are not a body....You really are a Yod (hand of God),i.e, A Creative Psyche) in the Collective Unconscious, so your Real body, is the Tree of Life....the human body is the incarnation, for sensual and/or intimate purposes, lucidity of your "dreams" and resides with in the solar corona -Causal-Mental-Emotional bodies of the Solar light (Aura) that is the Invisible you. That Invisible you is the Sun/Son of God, but acts as Jupiter, and in this card, Jupiter is in Libra. Thus the normal destructive Swords, are put to rest in the munificent, benevolent and loving nature of the Jupitarian Soul (shown as the 49 petaled rose).
The Rose is restored and Consciousness is settled, and a rest from strife is implied by the 4 of Swords. Jupiter in Libra radiates compassion and sensitivity showing the Mercy that is Chesed.
Here Jupiter claims authority in the intellectual world. Arguing for convention, Jupiter restores mental balance after the chaos of arbitrary thought.
In the 4 of Swords card, the hilts of the Swords, are formed into the corners of the St, Andrew's Cross, suggesting the rigidity and fixation implied in the 4. The Rose of 49 petals, in which the Swords are sheathed, suggesting social harmony. Therefore, there is a suggestion of compromise. As does Crowley, I find this compromise to be a less than positive factor. For it is an act of an indolent mind, that would rather be pusillanimous and compromise for social peace rather than work out the thought or issue through the promised struggle. However, it may be to keep the peace; but peace at any cost, is not always preferable. Compromise is easy, but being the procreator of the necessary strife needed to induce change, can be a hard one to face and takes personal courage.
When the 4 of Swords -Truce, is thrown during a reading:
- There is mental understanding of a matter, or a relationship coming to full resolution on 4 levels of mental awareness: The Rational, The Emotional of the Unconscious, The Spiritual, and the Subconscious of the Physical.
- Implications of problems that should not be ignored; listen to the inner self and answers will be restored.
- A holding pattern after mastering a difficult mental situation.
- Retreat or withdrawal necessary to heal or hide, by creating a protected mental space. Here insight can be generated by seclusion.
- A moment of logic and discriminating intelligence of integrity and planning.
The negatives of this card are often;
- A bout of illness in order to recuperate.
- The intellect is relinquishing control back to the body so that a time out of from problems and solutions are achieved as the body has only one focus of getting better.
- Forced retreat (illness).
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.