The Babylonian Tarot- 3 of Disks-Work, focuses on the industrious actions of the Babylonian People. From pottery, to agriculture, the Babylonian's worked hard and bartered their skills. Uttu, a Sumerian goddess, was especially associated with the home and hearth. She was considered to be the goddess of weaving. She was a type of Mesopotamian "Spider Woman". She was the daughter of Enki (Ea) and Ninkurra, the goddess of the of mountain pastures.
As depicted on the Card, we see the goddess, Uttu hard at work spinning. The Spider, her sacred symbol is shown on the bottom right of the card, resting in its spun web. 3 disks are at the top of the card; 1 bears the image of the "lion fish" and 2 which bear the image of suhurmasu, the "goat fish" of Capricorn. In the center is the cuneiform image of the number 3.
The Thoth 3 of Disks-Works represents endurance, strong physical determination, and tenacity. This is the ability to give the "works" to what you want. This is the card of nobility; that of trade, skilled labor, renown and glory. The divination meanings of this card are the same as those of the Thoth 3 of Disks card.
The pyramid symbolizes focused power as commitment and priority. The blue light surrounding the pyramid states the capacity of clarity; clarity about what you will or will not give your energy, mind and body to. In other words, “the Works". The gray waves in the back ground represent confusion and/or Chaos; However, this confusion has been broken through by the lighted pyramid of clear intention, clarity of priorities and commitments. The 3 red wheels represent the alignment of mind, heart and physical action.
The astrological sign of Mars in Capricorn adorns this card, as Mars is the planet of activity, energy, vitality and assertion. Capricorn represents, the assertion of Mind, Heart and Action with focused intention moving in the same direction of tangible and secure manifestation. To the Universal Self, "The Works" is Life Itself so when we align our body and soul (heart) and action towards priorities, commitments and/or what we wish to give "the works" to, we align with Universal Priorities which can enhance all that we are determined to do. All we have to do is focus intent and begin action with what we have, and the Universal Priority will accelerate us towards our goal.
This card represents the influence of the 3rd Sephiroth- Binah-Understanding (Mother-Goddess) in the physical world. The 3 of Disks also represents, trade, skilled labor, physical persistence, tenacity, endurance and strong determination to get the job done.
For the Ancient Alchemist and the Western Qabalist, Works represents the combinations of Mercury, sulfur, and salt or the material letters Aleph (air), Mem (water) and Shin (fire). Illustrated on this Thoth card is the pyramid of crystallized forces rises out of the Great Sea of Binah.
Since this card represents the Divine Ability to create material manifestation, it reminds us that we must keep Spirit, Soul (Psyche/Mind) involved in our creativity in order to manifest our ideals. To see our dreams as children to be born, and go about paying attention to detail and dedicate our Mind and Soul ( often referred to as "heart") towards this goal. This is love of being, in order to nurture our dream into fruition. To those who love creating---expressing their Soul's understanding into matter, diligence is the only time limit because they love the act of creating more than the goal attained. Such wise people are in -tune with the Great Work which is to be. It is not what you become that is important, it is being present in the now that is important in order to keep transforming the energetic presence of I AM. Living the Now, is better than hoping to be living a future fantasy which is liquid dream that only swirls to the currents of your present motion! Also, by living only in yesterday's emotional reactions, you are not present in the Now. We are the "children of the eternal Now", if living yesterday, we are dead today.
Again, the Four 3's are associated with Binah who is the Great Mother and is called UNDERSTANDING. In Understanding, the idea becomes fertilized and a child can be born. The formulation of the Triangle, (Kether-Crown, and Chokma-Wisdom & Binah-Understanding) is a stability that cannot be made unstable. We know the Triangle that begins all birth as many combinations of 3. Maid-Mother-and Crone, each a special perspective on Womb-rite. Father-Son- and Holy Ghost, each an active part of the stable foundation of "the Spirit Fire" or rite of Phallus. Ocean-Rain-and River, each a process of Life or Ocean-Sun-and Earth. While the mind is made up of Unconscious, (The Spirit Mind of Universal Unconscious) subconscious and conscious, we can go on and on but in all cases a fertilization is achieved and a child can be born.
All 3's are part of the Great Works of the Will to Form-Understanding that is the Creatrix,
- The 3 of Wands is called Virtue, and/or The Lord of Virtue (Husbandry), for in this state of conscious energy, the idea of will and dominion has become interpreted in Character.
- The 3 of Cups is called Abundance and/or the Lord of Abundance where the idea of Love has come to fruition.
- The 3's are far enough down the Tree of Life to begin seeing definite differentiation between the suits, giving birth to the idea of division----so that "many can be made from the One who is 3".
- The idea of division, of mutability, which is the "airy' quality of things, is made manifest in the 3 of Swords. The 3 of Swords is named SORROW; Not the vulgar sorrow of individual discontent or disappointment but the Sorrow of the Dark Binah, and of the Dark Isis. In German this great sorrow is called Weltschmerz, the universal sorrow. It is the quality of Melancholy that comes after creation. I find it easier to understand the 3 of Swords by understanding the Great Mother's sorrow over her seeing the Bright Shimmering Beauty of Her Children and because of "freedom of choice", unable to intervene when watching her children become ugly in their own minds as they identify themselves as monsters. All of which happens when fear is the foundation/understanding, of our ideas/identity rather than Love.
- The 3 of Disks (Pentacles) exhibits the crystallization of forces, which is the idea of Earth. There is an obvious manifestation of Work having been done. This is also often called the Great Work and/or Life creating the Alive. This may make more sense to you if you remember that the “other-side of the Mirror", is the Dark Place where Life is the Supernal Triangle of the Tree of Life, and the Alive are the Child made manifest from this Union of Conscious Energy (Forces), that combine to make the Crystallization of Light the Reflective side of the Mirror! This conceptualization of a two-sided mirror goes far in explaining why "Mirror Magic' is so often used to insure manifestation of idea into a "living expression". Or you can say "from the warm, wet Darkness of the nurturing womb, Light is born."
A lot has been said, but not many understand that the body is merely a Reflection, of your Space side; the invisible you who is the majority of you. (You are physically 99.6% invisible), It is in the Dark, warmth, of your "infinite light" (Spirit) that all Life comes from...the body is Alive, but in itself is not Life! As stated, the body is a Reflection and/or "color of Life". Think well from your deep dark places, to be Alive and Well! It pays to remember this axiom, “Do unto another as you would have done to you."...for that is in itself a Triangle of 3---Idea, Cause and effect. It is unbreakable in its stability. So it pays to know what your ideas create. If you identify "others" instead of "Another’s" (everyone I see is another way to be Me.) you will keep lessening yourself until your life force can no longer sustain the body health and balance. To think less of others, is to lessen yourself. Your thoughts, ideas, and opinions only effect the Cause of Yourself. Your Reflection, enacts your Deep thoughts, into "aliveness". Your body is the only one who feels your thoughts and then must enact them and is the Great Works of the Higher Self. We are not responsible for how "others" react to us. We are, however, the response of reaction to our own thought! Others are just another way to be Divine Children; Children who have the Goddess given Freedom of Choice; gifted Divine Children, who have a right to their identities, be they ill or well thought out.
Love, is intelligence and knowledge as it is both wise and understanding---not the act of a simpleton but of a Powerful Spirit Being. To Love Being----is to be love.
The Magus knows, that to be able to "think" means you are not the effect called Thought, but the Cause of it. So my thoughts aren't "my precious", when they are emoted they are the cause that effects the Alive and hopefully ordered enough to work effectively. I then have the Knowledge to make, and remake thought to improve the function of my body, rather than think that I am the thought I think, and must defend those thoughts to the death, which then elevates idea above the Alive. This is silly as eliminating the Alive or at least enslaving the Alive to the "visions" of ambitious men, when being Alive so that ideas can justified as knowledge, and its expansion and liberation from thought’s self- imposed limits, is the very reason for the Union of Spirit and matter. As Spiral Energy, Spirit's Self-Reflection requires bodies! To make Thought Sensual, is necessary to create a screening process and or discernment paradigm; a living-Sensing form made of our information, to feel the emoted thought ! We are a creative Spirit who can devote our thought controlled “time/space" to "expanding and liberating" the Body from the survival thinking of the animal domain. This in turn expands and liberates self-awareness! By the feelings of Love or Fear generated by the Communion of idea with a sensual- living laboratory, ideas become experimental processes that either free the body from the past or bind it to the past. Idea alone is not enough to properly operate the Alive! Life depends on the Threesome of the Divine Wedding, which is the triangle made of Idea, the Union of Wisdom and Understanding, to create the Beautiful Bright Child called Knowledge! For with knowledge comes form.
When you understand the 3's, you begin to understand your godhood.
To reiterate: The Thoth Tarot 3 of Disks-Work, represents the Great Work, the establishment of the material Universe and the determination of its basic form of "As above, so Below". The 3's are the number of the Great Mother Binah, the 3 of Disks is the Influence of the Great Mother, The Form Maker, in the Sphere of Earth. Here, Binah is illustrated as background on the Thoth card, as the Great Sea of Binah in the Night. The fact that Unlimited Light is dark, is shown by the mottled gray, indigo and green pattern of the active sea whose waves are individual self-consciousness.
Also, Mars in Capricorn is the celestial ruler of this card. Placing Mars in his most exalted state. Here, when linked to Capricorn, the Martian energy is constructive and he is an exceptional builder and engineer.
The view of this card is that of a pyramid as seen from above its apex. The three wheeled base, represents the three Mother Letters of the Hebrew alphabet, Aleph (Air), Shin (Fire), and Mem (Water) or the alchemical system of Mercury, Sulphur (old English spelling), and Salt. If you are of the Hindu persuasion, the three wheels represent the Three Rajas, and Tamas. Or as the three images of the Goddess Durga as seen in the illustration.
To a Qabalist, the Great Work is to make the "As above, so below", which is a process of "Above all things, know thyself", all of which is achieved by remembering the Spiritual journey "down" the Tree of Life by consciously traveling "back up" and thus opening our personalities to the Great Personality that began this process of Macrocosm to Microcosm. To "Remember thyself", is to know your divinity, not just believing in it.
Part of the Great Work is to establish a "Knowing Evolutionary" state of “expanding and liberating", the animal brain from, survival thinking limits that keep it from Wisdom. To a Qabalist, Wisdom is the ability to "create-see error-and correct it", for we know that Wisdom is 50% error, and 50% correction; to the animal brain to make error is feared as a survival blunder thus keeping it from progressing. The wise know that we must make mistakes when creating in a "cause and effect" universe, as entropy is part of all material creation. Entropy, is always seeking to "proceed from order to disorder (2nd law of Thermodynamics), and the Universal solution to that chaos, is to keep up motion by constant change. In other words, "to expand and liberate" creation from previous boundaries. If you know yourself at all, you will know that the Human Being is the Solution to conscious limitations. We have the "Mind of Goddess/God", often called Imagination; Imagination is what I call "the Womb with a view”. Thus we can see beyond our senses, we can plot and give birth to futures. We are visionary in our sight and see beyond the entropy of the moment. To know thyself, is to know that the moment doesn't contain you and that it is just a moment, whereas you, are a Master of Time /Space and have the power to change moments, just by perspective alone, thus changing the future.
When the 3 of Disks (Pentacles in some other decks) is thrown, the querent is or will be experiencing:
- Paid employment, in the next three weeks or 3 months.
- Successful business transactions from working and constructive force.
- Building up, erecting, and realization and increase of material things.
- Cleverness, in business that entertains a certain selfishness as they are keen in the matter of gain.
- A time of inventing, engineering and creating where all things material is moving together within 3 weeks or 3 months.
- Communal work, where working together brings about success.
- If the Three of Disks is surrounded by Trump (Major Arcana), the querent is on the Spiritual journey of the Great Work, and is accomplishing the Task of Remembering the "As above", thus manifesting it "so below".
- When thrown this card declares that in the next 3 weeks or 3 months is the best time to get clear on your priorities, commitments and to determine what you are willing to give "the works" to.
- It is also the best time to reassess or clarify your relationships with Capricorn people (December 21- January 21).
- This is a time where clarity seems to come out of no-where allowing you to see clearly priorities and commitments that you wish to tenaciously stick to making them solid and stable in your life.
As in all cards, the definition is modified by dignity. If ill dignified by the accompanying cards, the 3 of Disks,
- Represents narrow and prejudiced thought and sometimes the seeking of the impossible.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.