The Thoth-3 of Disks-Works represents endurance, strong physical determination, and tenacity. This is the ability to give the "works" to what you want. This is the card of nobility; that of trade, skilled labor, renown and glory.
The pyramid symbolizes focused power as commitment and priority. The blue light surrounding the pyramid states the capacity of clarity; clarity about what you will or will not give your energy, mind and body to. In other words, “the Works". The gray waves in the background represent confusion; However, this confusion has been broken through by the lighted pyramid of clear intention, clarity of priorities and commitments. The 3 red wheels represent the alignment of mind, heart and action.
The astrological sign of Mars in Capricorn adorns this card, as Mars is the planet of activity, energy, vitality and assertion. Capricorn represents, the assertion of Mind, Heart and Action with focused intention moving in the same direction of tangible and secure manifestation. To the Universal Collective Self, "The Works" is Life . Therefore, when we align our body and soul (heart) and action towards priorities, commitments and/or what we wish to give "the works" to----we align with Universal Priorities which can enhance all that we are determined to do. All we have to do is focus, begin with what we have, and the Universal Priority will accelerate us towards our goal.
The Thoth 3 of Disks card also represents the influence of Binah (Mother-Goddess)the 3rd Sephiroth, in the physical world. The disks also represents, trade, skilled labor, physical persistence, tenacity, endurance and strong determination to get the job done.
For the Alchemist and Qabalist, Works represents the combinations of Mercury, sulfur, and salt or the Hebrew maternal letters- Aleph (air), Mem (water) and Shin (fire). Illustrated on this Thoth card is the pyramid of crystallized forces rises out of the Great Dark Sea of Binah/the Universal Collective Unconscious.
Since this card represents the Divine Ability to create material manifestation, it reminds us that we must keep heart and soul involved in our creativity in order to manifest our ideals. To see our dreams as children to be born, and go about paying attention to detail and dedicate our heart and soul towards this goal. This is love of being, in order to nurture our dream into fruition. To those who love creating---expressing their soul into matter, diligence is the only time limit because they love the act of creating more than the goal attained, such people are in -tune with the Great Work which is to be. It is not what you become that is important, it is being present that is important in order to keep transforming energetic presence. Living the Now, is better than hoping to be living a phantom future---which is liquid light and only swirls to the currents of your present motion!
The 3rd Sephiroth-Binah is called UNDERSTANDING for a reason. In Understanding an the idea becomes information, and information becomes form and/or in-form-action. The formulation of the Upper Triangle, of the One (Kether-Crown, and Chokma-Wisdom & Binah-Understanding) is a stability that cannot be made unstable. We know the Triangle that begins all birth of idea and information as many combinations of 3.
- Maid-Mother-and Crone, each a special perspective on Womb-rite.
- Father-Son- and Holy Ghost, each an active part of the stable foundation of "the Spirit Fire" or rite of Phallus.
- Ocean-Rain-and River, each a process of Life.
- Sun, Moon-and Earth.
- While the mind is made up of Unconscious, ( Universal Collective Unconscious) subconscious (the collective of cellular intelligence) and conscious, we can go on and on but in all cases a fertilization is achieved and a child is born.
- The 3 of Wands is called Virtue, and/or The Lord of Virtue (Husbandry), for in this state of conscious energy, the idea of will and dominion has become interpreted in Character.
- The 3 of Cups is called Abundance and/or the Lord of Abundance where the idea of Love has come to fruition. Therefore, the Tarot 3's are far enough down the Tree of Life to begin seeing definite differentiation between the suits, giving birth to the idea of "other"----so that "many can be made from the One who is 3". Of which we are a copy for we are also, I AM ME/ Spirit (I)-Mind (Am)-Body (Me).
- The idea of division, of mutability, which is the "airy' quality of things, is made manifest in the 3 of Swords. The Thoth 3 of Swords is named SORROW Not the vulgar sorrow of individual discontent or disappointment but the Sorrow of the Dark Binah, and of the Dark Isis. In German this great sorrow is called Weltschmerz, the universal sorrow. It is the quality of Universal Melancholy. I find it easier to understand the Three of Swords by understanding the Great Mother's sorrow over her seeing the Bright Shimmering Beauty of Her Children and because of "freedom of choice", unable to intervene when watching her children become ugly in their own minds as they identify themselves as monsters. All of which happens when fear is the foundation of our ideas/identity rather than Love.
- The 3 of Disks (Pentacles/Coins) exhibits the crystallization of forces, which is the idea of Earth/Me. There is an obvious manifestation of Work having been done. This is also often called the Great Work and/or Life creating the Alive. This may make more sense to you if you remember that the “other-side of the Mirror", is the Dark Place where Life is the Supernal Triangle of the Tree of Life, and the Alive are the Child made manifest from this union of intelligent energy spheres(Forces), that combine to make the Crystallization of Light the Reflective side of the Mirror in order to put self into in-form-action! This conceptualization of a two-sided mirror goes far in explaining why "Mirror Magic" is so often used to insure manifestation of idea into a "living expression". Or you can say "from the warm, wet Darkness of the nurturing womb, Light is born." We often forget we are a manifestation of light. Light that is alive and well as I Am.
A lot has been said about the I Am, but not many understand that the body is merely a Reflection, of your Dark side; the invisible you who is the majority of you. (You are physically 99.6% invisible), It is in the Dark, warmth, of your "infinite light" (Spirit) that all Life comes from...the body is Alive, but in itself is not Life! As stated, the body is a Reflection of Life/I AM. Think well from your deep dark places, to be Alive and Well! It pays to remember this axiom, “Do unto another as you would have done to you."...for that is in itself a Triangle of 3---Idea, Cause and effect. It is unbreakable in its stability. So it pays to know what your ideas create. If you identify "others" instead of "Another’s"; for instance, everyone I see is another way to be me, you will keep lessening yourself by thinking ill until your life force can no longer sustain the body health and balance. To think less of others, is to lessen yourself. Your thoughts, ideas, and opinions only affect the manifestation of Yourself and/or the "Me". Your Reflection, enacts your Deep thoughts, into "aliveness". Your body is the only one who feels your thoughts and then must enact them as a received in-form-action. Peer pressure, the Patriarchal lie, makes us responsible for the reactions of others. However, we are not responsible for how "others" react to us, for their thoughts make their in-form-action, and not ours. We are, however, the response of reaction to our own thought! Others are just another way to be Divine Children learning what self-is; Children who have the Goddess given Freedom of Choice; Gifted Divine Children, who have a right to their identities, be they ill or well thought out. Hence, melancholy.
Love, is a dimension of Mind that as it is both wise and understanding---not the act of a simpleton but of a Powerful Spirit Being. To Love Being----is to be love.
The Magus knows, that to be able to "think" means you are not the effect called thought, but the cause of it and are the "first material" our I AM works with. So my thoughts aren't "my precious", they are the cause that affects the Alive that spirit makes breath and hopefully ordered enough to work effectively. I then have the Knowledge to make, and remake thought to improve the function of my body, and thereby the world. I Am not a creator who thinks his creation is himself, it it "other" and rather than think that I am the thought I think, for then I must defend those thoughts, right or wrong, to the death, which then elevates idea above the Created. This is silly ignorance, for eliminating the Alive or at least enslaving the Alive to thought creates only slavery and cruelty. Life is the Great Work. The alive and its expansion and liberation from thought’s self- imposed limits is the very reason for the Union of Spirit and matter. Self-Reflection, requires bodies for their is no learning without information and the ability to have "hind sight"! To make thought Sensual, is to "measure thought" which is necessary to create a screening process; a living in-form-action that the Mind can look back upon and see its conclusion. We are a creative individual Sphere of Spirit within the Universal Collective Spirit; an I Am who can devote our thought controlled “time/space" the Me, to "expanding and liberating" the hominid from the survival thinking of the animal domain. This in turn expands and liberates self-awareness in the Material I AM Me! By the feelings of Love or Fear generated by the Communion of idea with a sensual- living laboratory, ideas become experimental processes that either free the body from the past or bind it to the past. Idea alone is not enough to properly operate the Alive for it is unproven and must at first be microcosmically examined as a in-form-action! Life depends on the Threesome of the Divine Wedding, which is the triangle made of Idea, the Union of Wisdom and Understanding, to create the Beautiful Bright Child called Knowledge! Hence, "Three in the House", and/or as the French say, a menage é trias. This menage é trias is I AM Me- the 3 that are in the Beth/house that is a homo sapiens sapiens body. You know this without realizing that only with 2 or more can a conversation be created, and you mentally talk/converse with your brain/body all of the time! I AM ME.
When you understand the 3's, you begin to understand your Godhood/Good-hood.
To reiterate: The Thoth Deck 3 of Disks-Work, represents the Great Work, the establishment of the material Universe and the determination of its basic form. The 3's are the number of the Great Mother Creatrix, and the 3 of Disks is the Influence of the Great Mother Trinity, The Form Maker, in the Sphere of Earth as Maid, Mother and Crone. Here, Binah is illustrated as background on the Thoth card, as the Great Sea of Binah in the Dark- Night. The fact that Unlimited Light is dark, is shown by the mottled gray, indigo and green pattern of the active sea whose waves are consciousness.
Also, Mars in Capricorn is the celestial ruler of this card. Placing Mars in his most exalted state. Here, when linked to Capricorn, the Martian energy is fertility and/or constructive as an exceptional builder and engineer.
The view of this card is that of a pyramid as seen from above its apex. The 3 wheeled base, represents the three Mother Letters of the Hebrew alphabet, Aleph (Air), Shin (Fire), and Mem (Water) or the alchemical system of Mercury, Sulphur (old English spelling), and Salt. If you are of the Hindu persuasion, the three wheels represent the Three Gunas-Tamas, Sattva, Rajas. Or as the three images of the Goddess Durga .
To a Qabalist, the Great Work is to make the "As above, so below", which is a process of "Above all things, know thyself", all of which is achieved by remembering the Spiritual journey "down" the Tree of Life making us manifest, and then by consciously traveling "back up", thereby, opening our personalities to receiving (the meaning of the word-Qabalah) the Great Personality that began this process of Macrocosmic I AM to Microcosm- Me. To "Remember thyself", is to know your divinity as the I AM, not just believing in it. Hence, the Great Work is to become Adam Khadmond and/or the Egyptian Tarot-Horus. Both of which mean, "Heavenly Human". The one who from the Heavens came to elevate material life beyond the animal survival mind and/or subconscious.
Part of the Great Work is to establish a "Knowing Evolutionary" state of “expanding and liberating"(the meaning of the Hindu word-Tantra) the animal brain from, survival thinking limits that keep it from Wisdom. To a Qabalist, Wisdom is the ability to "create-see error-and correct it", for we know that Wisdom is 50% error, and 50% correction; to the animal brain to make error is feared as a survival blunder thus keeping it from progressing. The wise know that we must make mistakes when creating in a "cause and effect" universe, as entropy is part of all material creation. Entropy, is always seeking to "proceed from order to disorder (2nd law of Thermodynamics), and the Universal solution to that chaos, is to keep up motion by constant change and/or flexibility in Identity. In other words, "to expand and liberate" creation from previous boundaries. If you know yourself at all, you will know that the Human Being is the Solution to the conscious limitations of the homo sapiens sapiens. We have the "Mind of Goddess/God", often called Imagination; I-magi-nation is what I call "the Womb with a view” and/or the Macrocosmic mother of the microcosm. With this magic-mind we can see beyond our senses, we can plot and give birth to futures and have the hindsight not to recreate past mistakes. We are visionary in our sight and see beyond the entropy of the moment. To know thyself, is to know that the moment doesn't contain you and that it is just a moment you contain by sensuality. Therefore, you, are a Master of Time /Space and have the power to change moments just by perspective alone, and thus changing the future.
The Tarot of The Ages, shows 3 Hindu's panning for gold, using golden coins/disks, and sluicing them in golden water which reflects the golden sky. All of which shows that one is rewarded by working towards a goal. Here there are 3 working together, to expand their wealth. Hence, the I AM Me or the trinity of Self, working as one. They are surrounded by the black-fertile earth. Therefore, the meanings of this card in divination are the same ones applied to the Thoth 3 of Disks card.
When the 3 of Disks (Pentacles or coins in some more traditional decks) is thrown, the querent is or will be experiencing:
- Paid employment, in the next three weeks or 3 months.
- Successful business transactions from working and constructive force.
- Building up, erecting, and realization and increase of material things.
- Cleverness, in business that entertains a certain selfishness as they are keen in the matter of gain.
- A time of inventing, engineering and creating where all things material is moving together within 3 weeks or 3 months.
- Communal work, where working together brings about success.
- If the 3 of Disks/Coins is surrounded by Trump (Major Arcana), the querent is on the Spiritual journey of the Great Work, and is accomplishing the Task of Remembering the "As above", thus manifesting it "so below".
- When thrown this card declares that in the next 3 weeks or 3 months is the best time to get clear on your priorities, commitments and to determine what you are willing to give "the works" to.
- It is also the best time to reassess or clarify your relationships with Capricorn people (December 21- January 21). This is a time where clarity seems to come out of nowhere allowing you to see clearly priorities and commitments that you wish to tenaciously stick to making them solid and stable in your life.
- One displays, great skill in work or trade.
- Artistic ability.
As in all cards, the definition is modified by dignity. If ill dignified by the accompanying cards, the Three of Disks,
- Represents narrow and prejudiced thought and sometimes the seeking of the impossible.
- Money problems.
- Common place ideas.
- Lack of skill.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.