New Orleans voodoo tarot- 3 of Santeria (earth) Oyá
The New Orleans Voodoo Tarot- 3 of Santeria-Earth-Oyá, represents the Voodoo Storm Goddess, Mistress of the marketplace where all paths meet: Mistress of the Earth's deep, searing pressures: Mistress of the sky's hot fire; Mother of Storms, all hurricanes in final reckoning bear her name. The hurricane season is the time of Oyá and all these whirling storms are named for her sons and daughters.
The Western Qabalistic Binah is comparable to Oyá who is the elemental might of earth; earth's power, condensed and ever erupting under ludacris pressures. Oyá is shown , clothed in torn cloth as her name is associated with tearing. Among the *Yoruba, Oyá, is she who owns the torn cloth used in the ancestral masquerades of the **Egungun.*Yoruba | people | Britannica.com
Yoruba, one of the three largest ethnic groups of Nigeria, concentrated in the southwestern part of that country. Much smaller, scattered groups live in Benin and northern Togo . The Yoruba numbered more than 20 million at the turn of the 21st century
- *Yoruba people - Wikipedia
Yoruba culture consists of cultural philosophy, religion and folktales. They are embodied in Ifa divination, and are known as the tripartite Book of Enlightenment in Yorubaland and in its diaspora. Yoruba cultural thought is a witness of two epochs. The first epoch is a history of cosmogony and cosmology.
**Egungun, in the broadest sense of the word, refers to all types of Yoruba masquerades or masked, costumed figures. When used in its more specific, common sense, "Egungun" refers to the Yoruba masquerades connected with ancestor reverence, or to the ancestors themselves as a collective force. The singular form, for an individual ancestor, is Egun.Egungun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
d paragraph text here.
Oyá is the patron of women who command the marketplace.
Shown as a woman dancing in the torn cloth of the Egungun masker's, while in her hands are lightning bolts, symbolizes her mastery of storms. Although the lightning is hers, the thunder belongs to Shango (Earth of Hod). Upon the tomb on which she is dancing, for she dances on death's thin edge, are eggplants, all lush and fat. Eggplant is sacred to her.
The wrenching or tearing movement between worlds, is the primary attribute of Oyá. Just as do Guedehs and Brigitte, Oyá. stands between the worlds, although her movement between them is more wrenching or of a tearing quality.
When the 3 of Santeria- Oyá- card is thrown in a divination, it implies:
- An abrupt change in a situation.
- Gain in the marketplace.
- Turn for the better in business matters.
Thoth- 3 of disks-works
The 3 of Disks-Works represents endurance, strong physical determination, and tenacity. This is the ability to give the "works" to what you want. This is the card of nobility; that of trade, skilled labor, renown and glory.
- The pyramid symbolizes focused power as commitment and priority.
- The blue light surrounding the pyramid states the capacity of clarity; clarity about what you will or will not give your energy, mind and body to. In other words, “the Works".
- The gray waves in the background represent confusion; However, this confusion has been broken through by the lighted pyramid of clear intention, clarity of priorities and commitments.
- The 3 red wheels represent the alignment of mind, heart and action.
The astrological sign of Mars in Capricorn adorns this card, as Mars is the planet of activity, energy, vitality and assertion. Capricorn represents, the assertion of Mind, Heart and Action with focused intention moving in the same direction of tangible and secure manifestation. To the Universal Self, "The Works" is Life Itself so when we align our body and soul (heart) and action towards priorities, commitments and/or what we wish to give "the works" to----we align with Universal Priorities which can enhance all that we are determined to do. All we have to do is focus, begin with what we have, and the Universal Priority will accelerate us towards our goal.
This card represents the influence of the 3rd Sephiroth- Binah (Mother-Goddess) in the physical world. The 3 of Disks also represents, trade, skilled labor, physical persistence, tenacity, endurance and strong determination to get the job done. For the Alchemist and Qabalist, Works represents the combinations of Mercury, sulfur, and salt or the material letters Aleph (air), Mem (water) and Shin (fire). Illustrated on this Thoth card is the pyramid of crystallized forces rises out of the Great Sea of Binah.
Since this card represents the Divine Ability to create material manifestation out of "dreams", it reminds us that we must keep heart and soul involved in our creativity in order to manifest our ideals. To see our heartfelt dreams as children to be born, and go about paying attention to detail and dedicate our heart and soul/psyche towards this goal. This is the power of love of being, that orders or nurtures our dream into fruition. To those who love the intimacy of creating---expressing their soul into matter, diligence is the only time limit because they love the act of creating more than the goal attained Such people are in -tune with the Great Work which is to be, for Kether, the One Energy-the Eheieh, is the beginning of the idea of being as Eheieh means "I Will Be". It is not what your words state that is important, it is being that is important in order to keep transforming energetic presence from condensed light. Also, Living the Now, is better than hoping to be living a future; a future which is liquid and only swirls to the currents of your present motion!
The Four 3's are associated with Binah- who is the Great Mother of all Form and is called UNDERSTANDING. When Understood, data/idea becomes in-form-ation and a child can be born. The formulation of the Supernal Triangle, (Kether-Crown, and Chokma-Wisdom & Binah-Understanding) is a stability that cannot be made unstable. We know the Triangle that begins all birth, as the Vesica Pisces and also as the many combinations of 3; Maid-Mother-and Crone, each a special perspective on Womb-rite, Father-Son- and Grandfather, each an active part of the stable foundation of "the Spirit Fire" or rite of Phallus, Ocean-Rain-and River, each a process of Life or Ocean-Sun-and Earth. While the mind is made up of the Universal Collective Unconscious, subconscious (instincts) and conscious, we can go on and on but in all cases a fertilization is achieved and a child can be born. Even when the Universal Collective Unconscious (Greater Self) and the Instinctual mind of earth, and the Sun/Son of the Unconscious born of idea and understanding- the consciousness, are united in equilibrium, we get the Whole of the I Am united and which gives birth to "Me". I AM Me, is another way to say the "Great Work".
It helps to remember, that the Small Cards and/or Minor Arcana, represent an objective occurrence-an "in your face" happening rather than the subtle influences of the Major Arcana. Minor cards are "visible world issues or instances", while the Major Arcana are of the "Invisible World influences".
- The 3 of Wands is called Virtue, and/or The Lord of Virtue (Husbandry), for in this state of conscious energy, the idea of will and dominion has become interpreted in Character.
- The 3 of Cups is called Abundance and/or the Lord of Abundance where the idea of Love has come to fruition.
- The 3 of Swords is called Sorrow. Here the idea of division, of mutability, which is the "airy' quality of things, is made manifest in the 3 of Swords. The 3 of Swords is named SORROW : However, not the vulgar sorrow of individual discontent or disappointment but the Sorrow of the Dark Binah, and of the Dark Isis. In German this great sorrow is called Weltschmerz, the Universal Sorrow. It is the quality of Melancholy. I find it easier to understand the 3 of Swords by understanding the Great Mother's sorrow over her seeing the Bright Shimmering Beauty of Her Children grow dull and leadened because of "freedom of choice" and making the wrong choices due to animal survival thinking. And know that she is unable to intervene because of this freedom, when watching her children become ugly in their own minds as they identify themselves as monsters. All of which happens when fear is the foundation of our ideas/identity rather than Love..
- The 3 of Disks is the Works: What Self-Awareness of the One has condensed to. The 3 of Disks (Pentacles) exhibits the crystallization of Self-concepts, which is the idea of Earth. There is an obvious manifestation of Work having been done. This is also often called the Great Work and/or Life creating the Alive. This may make more sense to you if you remember that the “other-side of the Mirror", is the Dark Plane upon which the visible worlds are reflected. The Supernal Triangle, I AM of the Tree of Life, and the Alive are the Child made manifest from this Union of Ternary-Conscious Energy ( invisible Forces of will), that combine to make the Crystallization of Light the Reflective side of the Mirror! This conceptualization of a two-sided mirror goes far in explaining why "Mirror Magic' is so often used to insure manifestation of idea into a "living expression". Or you can say "from the warm, wet Darkness of the nurturing womb, Light is born."
The 3's are far enough down the Tree of Life to begin seeing definite differentiation between the suits, giving birth to the false idea of division----so that "many can be made from the 1 who is 3". Yet there is only 1 Great Self, and therefore, SELF is all you will ever know. Hence, "Above all things, know thyself".
A lot has been said, but not many understand that the body is merely a Reflection, of your Dark- fiery- side; the invisible Hod who is the majority of you. (You are physically 99.6% invisible), It is in the Dark, warmth, of your "infinite light" (Spirit) that all Life comes from...the body is Alive, but in itself is not Life! As stated, the body is a "Self- Reflection" of Life. Think well from your deep dark places, to be Alive and Well! It pays to remember this axiom, “Do unto another as you would have done to you."...for that is in itself a Triangle of three---Idea, Cause and effect. It is unbreakable in its stability. So it pays to know what your ideas create as "Self". If you identify "others" instead of "Another’s" (everyone I see is another way to be Me.) you will keep lessening yourself until your life force can no longer sustain the body health and balance. To think less of others, is to lessen yourself. Your thoughts, ideas, and opinions only affect the Cause of Yourself. Your Emoted Reflection, enacts your Deep thoughts, into "aliveness". Emotions are acting out and/or emoting a story you are telling yourself. Your body is the only one who feels your thoughts and then must enact them. We are not responsible for how "others" react to us. We are, however, the response of reaction to our own thought! Others are just another way to be Divine Children; Children who have the Goddess given Freedom of Choice; gifted Divine Children, who have a right to their identities, be they ill or well thought out. Since all of us are a "different timeline of Light", "individual spirit", each of us must learn all the lessons to be learned, at our own time. Some sooner than others because of the measurement of time as different frequencies of the One Light. Different frequencies, have their own properties and "different times". The younger the Soul, the more it has to experience before wisdom takes place. So your psyche may be wiser, because of "oldness", but not because of "betterness". Each will learn in their own time. So let them be, and stop trying to "cure everybody", as freedom of choice, gives everyone the right to their own disease. Only when they see the dis-ease, and ask you how you became to follow your "ease", can you assist them in their endeavor. This is also how the Great Mother assists all of us-her golden children.
Love, is intelligence as it is both wise and understanding---not the act of a simpleton but of a Powerful Spirit Being. To Love Being----is to Be love.
The Qabalistic Magus knows, that to be able to "think" means you are not the effect called Thought, but the Cause of it (The Causal Mind). So my thoughts aren't "my precious", they are the cause that affects the Alive and hopefully ordered enough to power- work effectively. I then have the Knowledge to make, and remake thought to improve the function of my body, rather than think that I am the thought I think, and somehow must defend those thoughts to the death, which then elevates idea/data above information, i.e., the Alive. This is silly as eliminating the Alive or at least enslaving the Alive to thought, interferes with the *** raison d'ê tre of being Alive and its expansion and liberation from thought’s self- imposed limits, by experience the consequence of that thought, is the very reason for the Union of Spirit and matter. Self-Awareness, requires bodies! To make Thought a Self idea, is necessary to create a screening process of experience; a living form! We are a creative Spirit who can devote our though controlled “time/space" to "expanding and liberating" the Mind and Body from the survival thinking of the animal domain. This in turn expands and liberates self-awareness in the Universal Collective Unconscious! By the feelings of Love or Fear generated by the Communion of idea with a sensual- living laboratory, ideas become experimental processes that either free the Self from the past or bind it to the past. Idea alone is not enough to properly operate the Alive! Life depends on the Threesome of the Divine Wedding, which is the triangle made of Idea, the Union of Wisdom and Understanding, to create the Beautiful Bright Child called Knowledge! In other words, for the I Am to create Me.
When you understand the Threes, you begin to understand your inherited Godhood of I AM ME.
the most important reason or purpose for someone or something's existence.
"an institution whose raison d'être is public service broadcasting"
synonyms:responsibility · duty · concern · province · aim · activity · assignment · obligation · charge · task · chore · job · role · errand · mission · detail · undertaking · commission ·
To reiterate: the Thoth Tarot- 3 of Disks-Work, represents the Great Work, the establishment of the union between the Macrocosm and it's Self -Reflection, the Microcosm and/or material Universe and the determination of its basic form as a "Me". The 3's are the number of the Great Mother Binah, the 3 of Disks is the Influence of the Great Mother, The Form Maker, The "Will to Form" in the Sphere of Earth. Here, Binah is illustrated as background on the Thoth card, as the Great Sea of Binah in the Night. The fact that Unlimited Light is dark, is shown by the mottled gray, indigo and green pattern of the active sea whose waves are consciousness.
Also, Mars in Capricorn is the celestial ruler of this card. Placing Mars in his most exalted state. Here, when linked to Capricorn, the Martian energy is constructive , fertile and fecund making him an exceptional builder and engineer.
The view of this card is that of a pyramid as seen from above its apex. The 3- wheeled base, represents the 3 Mother Letters of the Hebrew alphabet, Aleph (Air), Shin (Fire), and Mem (Water) or the alchemical system of Mercury, Sulphur (old English spelling), and Salt. If you are of the Hindu persuasion, the three wheels represent the ****3-Gunas or Rajas, and Tamas. Or as the 3 images of the Goddess Durga .
****Everything in the illusionary world consists of three gunas or qualities. These three qualities are present in all objects in various degrees, one quality is always more present or dominant then the others. The three gunas are Sattva (purity), Rajas (activity) and Tamas (darkness, destruction).Sattva, Rajas and Tamas – The three gunas or qualities of life – Arh…
To a Qabalist, the Great Work is to make the "As above, so below", which is a process of "Above all things, know thyself", all of which is achieved by remembering the Spiritual journey "down" the Tree of Life by consciously traveling "back up" and thus , opening our personalities to the Great Personality that began this process of Macrocosm to Microcosm. To "Remember thyself", is to know your divinity, your I AM, not just believing in it.
Part of the Great Work is to establish a "Knowing Evolutionary" state of “expanding and liberating", the animal brain from, survival thinking limits impose on it by the false indoctrination of "Words" as Self, that keep the brain so busy with word association that Wisdom can't come through from the Psyche. To a Qabalist, Wisdom is the ability to "create-see error-and correct it", for we know that Wisdom is 50% error, and 50% correction; to the animal brain to make error is feared as a survival blunder as indoctrinated by the Patriarchy, thus keeping it from progressing and making it a slave to outside authority. The wise know that we must make mistakes when creating in a "cause and effect" universe, as entropy is part of all material creation. Entropy, is always seeking to "proceed from order to disorder (2nd law of Thermodynamics), and the Universal solution to that chaos, is to keep up motion by constant change. In other words, "to expand and liberate" creation from previous boundaries. If you know yourself at all, you will know that the Human Being as the Homo Sapiens Sapiens is the Solution to conscious limitations. Yes the Human is not the Homo Sapiens Sapiens. Hu is Mandarin for "god" and Man, comes from the Hindu word Manas-meaning "Mind". Therefore, are the "Mind of Goddess/God" working through the very spectacular intimacy of form. This "god-mind", often called Imagination; which I call the "Womb with a view", because it can now observe what it Image-makes. Thus, we can see beyond our senses, we can plot and give birth to futures. We are visionary in our sight and see beyond the entropy of the moment. To know thyself, is to know that the moment doesn't contain you and that it is just a moment, in the measurement of time, whereas you, are a Master of Time /Space and have the power to change moments, just by perspective/observation alone, thus changing the future movement of time.
When the 3 of Disks (Pentacles in some other decks) is thrown, the querent is or will be experiencing:
- Paid employment, in the next three weeks or 3 months.
- Successful business transactions from working and constructive force.
- Building up, erecting, and realization and increase of material things.
- Cleverness, in business that entertains a certain selfishness as they are keen in the matter of gain.
- A time of inventing, engineering and creating where all things material is moving together within 3 weeks or 3 months.
- Communal work, where working together brings about success.
- If the Three of Disks is surrounded by Trump (Major Arcana), the querent is on the Spiritual journey of the Great Work, and is accomplishing the Task of Remembering the "As above", thus manifesting it "so below".
- This is a time where clarity seems to come out of nowhere allowing you to see clearly priorities and commitments that you wish to tenaciously stick to making them solid and stable in your life.
As in all cards, the definition is modified by dignity. If ill dignified by the accompanying cards, the 3 of Disks:
- Represents narrow and prejudiced thought and sometimes the seeking of the impossible.
- When thrown this card declares that in the next 3 weeks or 3 months is the best time to get clear on your priorities, commitments and to determine what you are willing to give "the works" to. It is also the best time to reassess or clarify your relationships with Capricorn people (December 21- January 21).
- Senseless fervor.
- Without direction.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.
helping people become more magic and less tragic since 2010