the Babylonian tarot-4 of arrows-rest
The Babylonian Tarot- 4 of Arrows-Rest, depicts the wounded lion of the 3 of Arrows, at a healing rest within a Babylonian garden. Mesopotamian rulers often ordered great engineering feats of Hanging Gardens, and Parks complete with diverted streams, hills, exotic animals and vegetation. Royal courtships often took place in such areas.
Above the Garden are 4 pointed upward arrows. Upward pointing arrows are a good sign, in the Babylonian Tarot. At the top of the pale diamond shape of the background, is the cuneiform writing for the number 4.
When thrown in divination, the Babylonian 4 of Arrows implies:
- Rest from sorrow.
- Peace after war.
- Peace through strength.
- Change for the better;
- Relaxation of anxiety.
- Recovery from illness.
- A needed vacation.
- Vacation is over.
- Minor misfortunes.
- Temporary illness.
In the Qabalistic Tarot of Thoth, Chesed the 4th Sephiroth represents the Universal Architect. Thus the 4's suggest perfection, realization, completion and fixing a matter to a rock solid stability.
In the 4 of Swords, this stability is a form of Truce, where equal tension, makes a stability of mental powers.
Thoth- 4 of swords-truce
The 4 of Swords represents Chesed in Yetzirah, influencing the astral world.
As you may know, mental creation happens in the fluid light of the Astral World of the Universal Collective Unconscious before the manifestation is solidified in the Material World. Now you may not be able to clearly see that you are not a body....You really are a Yod (hand of Creation) in the Collective Unconscious, so your Real body, is the Tree of Life....the human body is the incarnation, for sensual purposes, of realizing your "dreams" and resides with in the solar corona of the Invisible you. That Invisible you is as Jupiter, and in this card, Jupiter is in Libra.Therefore, the normal destructive Swords, are put to rest in the munificent, benevolent and loving nature of Jupiter.
The Rose is restored and Consciousness is settled, and a rest from strife is implied by the 4 of Swords. Jupiter in Libra radiates compassion and sensitivity showing the Mercy that is Chesed.
Here Jupiter claims authority in the intellectual world. Arguing for convention, Jupiter restores mental balance after the chaos of arbitrary thought.
In the 4 of Swords card, the hilts of the Swords, are formed into the corners of the St, Andrew's Cross, suggesting the rigidity and fixation implied in the 4. The Rose of 49 petals, in which the Swords are sheathed, suggesting social harmony. Hence, there is a suggestion of compromise. As does Crowley, I find this compromise to be a less than positive factor. For it is an act of an indolent mind, that would rather be pusillanimous and compromise for social peace rather than work out the thought through the promised struggle. However, it may be to keep the peace; but peace at any cost, is not always preferable. Nor is it a mercy to prolong a struggle.
When the 4 of Swords -Truce, or the 4 of Arrows-Rest-is thrown during a reading:
- There is mental understanding of a matter, or a relationship coming to full resolution on four levels of mental awareness: The Rational, The Emotional of the Unconscious, The Spiritual, and the Subconscious of the Physical.
- Implications of problems that should not be ignored; listen to the inner self and answers will be restored.
- A holding pattern after mastering a difficult mental situation.
- Retreat or withdrawal necessary to heal or hide, by creating a protected mental space. Here insight can be generated by seclusion.
- A moment of logic and discriminating intelligence of integrity and planning.
The ill dignity of this card is often;
- A bout of illness in order to recuperate.
- The intellect is relinquishing control back to the body so that a time out of from problems and solutions are achieved as the body has only to focus on getting better.
- A long convalescence.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. May you live long and prosper.