Above all things, know thyself!
#8. I look forward with confidence to the perfect realization of the Eternal Splendor of the Limitless Light.
Thoth- 8 of Disks-Prudence
The Notoria Tarot in Light- 8 of Pentacles
God above all things.
The 8 of Disks and 8 of Pentacles both represent- talent, skill, craft, learning, and practical ideas being turned into a profitable profession. The Thoth card itself symbolizes the harvest tree where hard work and skill have become fruitful and now you only need await the ripening of the harvest. This can be called the master craftsman's card, as mastery of a skill is depicted here. Skillful manipulation of physical material with talented hands. Here, the card represents a person whose work and skill are from diligence, and talent. Creating both spiritual and material values, the querent shows patience in gaining success, even though they are not always focused on material gain. Here paying attention to details is also shown by the concentration of the craftsman. There can be no success without challenging work that excites creativity.
At the top of the colorful Thoth card is the Sun sign and at the bottom of the harvest tree is the astrological sign of Virgo. Virgo reminds us that by attending to details and utilizing our organizational skills, we shall repeat the just harvest. Trust in your skills is the foundation of this harvest rather than the need for control; only a deep abiding trust in your skills will reap the just reward for the harvest follows the ordered skill of the prudent mind. The 8 of Disks-Prudence, is Hod in Assiah, the material World. The Sun is in Virgo and the angels assigned to this Decan are Akaiah and Kehethel.
The 8th Sephiroth-Hod (Splendor) is the Sphere of Mercury, who both rules and is exalted in Virgo. Being a mutable zodiac sign of Earth, Virgo is a stabilizing influence in the Qabalistic World of Assiah and the suit of Disks (The Material world). Along with the Sun radiating its life-giving light upon all this material (Mercury) fertility of Virgo/Earth, it implies, "intelligence lovingly applied to material matters, especially those of the agriculturist, the artificer and the engineer". [The Book of Thoth, pg.,216]
Prudence and wisdom are qualities of patient skill, the opposite of pushing to make things happen or holding back or resisting. The coin-like Disks have blossomed, the patient skill of wisdom and prudence has prevailed, and the successful harvest is shown by the protective leaves that hold back chaos. There is no place for doubt in this card for it is a manifested Trust of skill.
Again, the Thoth Deck 8 of Disks is called PRUDENCE. Disks are Pentacles, Stones, or Coins, even Dreamcatchers, in other traditionally modeled decks. But Disks seems an appropriate symbol, something on which Crowley and I both agree. Disks must be stabilized by a spinning motion, a circular rotational force, to hit their mark. Even the atoms of rocks are spinning in a centrifugal manner, so when representing the earthly powers, the spinning of the Disk, with its internal spin, best shows force and form as one presence in the crystalline /coagulated light of manifestation. Again, nature is showing us that solids are just illusions of electron motion held within a magnetic vessel.
Virgo is noted to be a very practical sign which tends to cause over-concern with minute details.
Because this is an 8, any gain that prudence gives are soon dispersed, often making Prudence no great virtue. The message in divination is that of skill, prudence, and over-carefulness about trivial things, at the expense of the larger. But because Hod is represented by Mercury and Mercury is exalted in Virgo, there is also predilection for loving intelligence involving material matters. The Rulership of the Sun in Virgo suggests birth, as well, thus the disks are arranged in the Geomantic figure Populus. These disks are then shown as flowers of a Great Tree, rooted solidly in fertile lands.
The Notoria Tarot in Light- 8 of Pentacles
Invocation of Imamaiah: Confitebor Domino secundum justitiam ejus: et psallam nomini Domini altissimi.
The Notoria Tarot in Light-8 of Pentacles illustrates the Angel Imamiah wearing the crown of thorns and carrying the sacrificial lamb of God across its shoulders. The lamb represents the Chistian belief in Christ who is a "dying god" and whose blood is shed to wash away the "sins of man". Therefore, the Angel Imamiah, draws us forward towards redemption and illuminates the right path to take. By elevating our view, we can see what awaits us on the horizon, we can amend errors, contempt, meanness, excessive pride, or moral baseness and set off on the right track.
Attributes of the Notoria Tarot in Light-8 of Pentacles card are listed on the left-facing sideboard of the card:
- Angel's seal.
- The numerical classification of Angel according to the Shem ha-Mephorash: 52; Chorus of Principalities (7th Sephiroth-Yesod-Foundation).
- The angelic name.
- Tarot card number and name used in Tarot divination: 8 of Pentacles.
- Planet: Mars.
- Zodiac sign: Sagittarius.
- Esoterica as assigned by Eliphas Levi and Alister Crowley: 8 of Disks-Prudence.
- Element sign of Earth.
When the 8 of Disks/Pentacles is thrown during a reading, the querent is in:
- A moment of creative birth of 8 weeks or 8 months, requiring the practice of physical caution, carefulness, and prudence.
- A type of physical wisdom radiating from an inner place of balance and integration.
- Making sure that all the bases are covered; every "t" crossed and every "I" dotted.
- Making intelligent choices so that the material world more closely conforms to one's needs.
- The possibility of turning a talent or skill into a profession.
- Skill in work with energy and forms, such as fingers working on a manipulative substance.
- That in the next 8 weeks or 8 months you can experience the harvest of your skill, prudence and wisdom. All from you’re organizing or attending to details.
- This card may also mean that all that you have learned or are learning will facilitate new growth in a skillful financial endeavor in the next 8 weeks or 8 months especially if you pay attention to details. This financial endeavor could involve Virgo people (August 21 to September 21) or harvesting a fertile relationship with important Virgo people in your life.
- This card represents a wise state of mind that operates from a foundation of prudence, centered integration, and Order rather than from chaos.
If ill defined by the surrounding negative cards, it implies:
- Focusing too tightly on the minute details and not seeing the big picture!
- Becoming paralyzed in formulism.
- Not seeing the forest through the trees.
- A penny wise, a pound foolish.
Thank you for your interest, comments, and supportive donations. Thank you for helping me keep our blog pure. May you live long and prosper.
helping people become more magic and less tragic since 2010.
Home page, Tarot Store, Master Tarot Classes, and nontraditional Tarot Card Comparisons.
Traditional Tarot Card Comparisons blog.