Above all things, Know thyself!
Thoth- 2 of Swords-Peace
#2. Through me its unfailing wisdom takes form in thought and word.
The celestial attribution of the 2 of Swords, is the Moon in Libra; the Moon is change, but Nature is inherently peaceful which enhances the balancing nature of Libra, implying, the need to bring about change in a harmonious, united, and sociable way.
Overall, one would think of the disruption of Chokma (# 2 Sephira- Wisdom) in the suit of Air (Swords); air being a suit born from the conflict of Water and Fire in marriage. Air/Swords is subject to change as no other suit, not only from the fire/water parentage but also when Earth appears the suit becomes crystallized and/or coagulated. Here, the Mind and Ego are at peace. However, this is the death suit of the Tarot, and swords are implements of War. A sword is also an instrument of action, rather than the egoic reaction which tells us it is the "true mind" of you, which is a lie. You are the Solar Psyche, not the false-egoic mind that comes from the subconscious mind virus. There is a greater ego, the intellectual part of the Soul, which is in constant motion. The use of the "false mind" that the Eastern Mystics call the "great enemy" and the Qabalist call the "devil". This False Mind/Ego must be overcome if we are to achieve the "Heavenly Human" status of Adam Khadmon and/or the Higher State of Androgynous-Self where consciousness becomes the Supernal Trinity. However, this card represents a sigh of relief from the daily battle as we are at momentary at peace both mentally and spiritually.
Adam Khadmon- "The Heavenly Human"
In the Thoth Tarot, the 2- of Swords, 2- Swords of equal strength, crossed; they are combined by a 5-petal blue rose. The Blue Rose represents the Gnostic Sophia, ---and the Qabalistic Chokma. Binah is the Great Mother of Wisdom (Female aspect of Chokma, for there are no separate genders at this stage), whose harmonizing influence, plus that of Libra, compounds the latent antagonism of the Suit of Swords. The pinwheel shaped white rays are in a geometrical pattern that emphasizes the harmonic equilibrium of the 2. Peace is about the best word to describe this harmonic. Here are two minds united in the wisdom of Sophia.
The Notoria Tarot in Light- Two of Swords
The Anticipated God.
Invocation of Angel: Expectans expectavi Dominum et intendit mihi.
The Notoria Tarot in Light -Two of Swords displays a woman, holding her heart in her hands with a golden arrow plunged into it while the angel Leuviah is ready to propel another golden arrow into the heart. These arrows represent a propulsive fruitful and fecund energy (Will to Force) into our subconscious enabling the coagulation of our desires. Often there are two conflicting directions this force points us in:
- The first direction is towards our heartfelt feelings to subdue and organize them.
- The second points us in the direction we need to achieve our greatest potential.
There is in all of us a need to reconcile memories of the past and present as the former is drawn into the latter so as not to repeat past mistakes. However, if harmony between past and present is not achieved, we will not only repeat past mistakes, suffer loss, pain, and fall victims to ambitions that are too great. Now this card is less about peace and more about blind obstinance. Here one has raised their defenses, steeled themselves against opposition and blind folded themselves to a demanding situation. By refusing to see things logically one also has suppressed emotions as a defense mechanism. One is stuck in analysis paralysis. This card implies that the querent must take of the blindfold and confront the issue. Our Light/Energy only flows when we are being true to ourselves and act.
Often the 2 of Swords represents the 2 opposites of electric-male and magnetic-female forces trying to get together and achieve a harmonic balance.
On the left-facing sideboard of this card are listed its attributes:
- Angelic seal.
- The original numerical classification of angel according to the Shem ha-Mephorash: 19; Chorus of Thrones (3rd Sephiroth-Binah).
- Name of Angel: Leuviah.
- Tarot card number and name: 2 swords.
- Planet: Jupiter.
- Zodiac sign: Cancer.
- Traditional esoteric attribution of the Angel with corresponding tarot card, according to Eliphas Levi and Alister Crowley: 2 of Swords.
When the 2/Two of Swords is thrown:
- The querent will be or has been, experiencing peace after a quarrel that began two weeks, or two months ago.
- Peace is restored but some tension remains.
- There are two actions here, sometimes selfish, and sometimes unselfish actions because of the contradictory characteristics in the same nature (Moon in Libra, Fire and Water).
- There is Strength gained after suffering; sacrifice and trouble, yet strength arising from the effort.
- The querent may often show sorrow and sympathy for those in trouble and champion the weak and oppressed while also giving aid to them.
- Overall, the Two of Swords is a balance of two strong individual minds, who have found greater profit in agreement rather than in conflict.
- There is an arrangement of differences that brings about justice and truth from untruth.
- Reconciliation of differences.
According to dignity of the accompanying cards, the ill dignity of the 2/Two of Swords could also mean:
- One is lacking tact, often doing injury when meaning well.
- There is also an inclination to repeat pardoned affronts.
- Unresolved conditions of tension.
Thank you for your interest, comments, and supportive donations. Your generosity blesses you. May you live long and prosper.
helping people become more magic and less tragic since 2010
Home page, Tarot store, Master Tarot classes, nontraditional Tarot Card Comparisons.
Traditional tarot blog.