Above all things, Know thyself!
Thoth- 2 of Swords-Peace
#2. Through me its unfailing wisdom takes form in thought and word.
The celestial attribution of the 2 of Swords, is the Moon in Libra; the Moon is change, but Nature is inherently peaceful which enhances the balancing nature of Libra, implying, the need to bring about change in a harmonious, united and sociable way.
Overall, one would think of the disruption of Chokma (# 2 Sephira- Wisdom) in the suit of Air (Swords); air being a suit born from the conflict of Water and Fire in marriage. Air/Swords is subject to change as no other suit, not only from the fire/water parentage but also when Earth appears the suit becomes crystallized and/or coagulated. Here, the Mind and Ego are at peace. However, this is the death suit of the Tarot, and swords are implements of War. A sword is also an instrument of action, rather then like the egoic reaction which tells us it is the "true mind" of you, which is a lie. You are the Solar Psyche, not the egoic mind that comes from the Rauch, the intellectual part of the Soul, which is in constant motion. This is the "false mind" that the Eastern mystics call the "great enemy" and the Qaballist call the "devil". This False Mind/Ego must be overcome if we are to achieve the "Heavenly Human" status of Adam Khadmon and/or the Higher State of Androgynous-Self where consciousness becomes the Supernal Trinity. However, the 2 of Swords is a sigh of relief from this seemingly daily battle as we are at momentary at peace both mentally and spiritually.
Adam Khadmon- "The Heavenly Human"
In the Thoth Tarot, the 2 of Swords, shows 2 Swords of equal strength, crossed; they are combine by a 5 petal blue rose. The Blue Rose represents the Gnostic Sophia, ---and the Qabalistic Chokma. Binah is the Great Mother of Wisdom (Female aspect of Chokma, for there are no separate genders at this stage), whose harmonizing influence, plus that of Libra, compounds the latent antagonism of the Suit of Swords. The pinwheel shaped white rays, are in a geometrical pattern that emphasizes the harmonic equilibrium of the 2. Peace is about the best word to describe this harmonic. Here are two minds united in the wisdom of Sophia.
The Modern Witch Tarot- Two of Swords
The Modern Witch -Two of Swords displays a blindfolded woman, holding 2 swords, each pointing in opposite directions, representing the scales of Libra. Swords represent the 2 polar opposites of electric-male and magnetic-female forces trying to get together and achieve a harmonic balance. This card is less about peace and more about blind obstinance. Here one has raised their defenses, steeled themselves against opposition and blind folded themselves to the truth of a difficult situation. By refusing to see things logically one also has suppressed emotions as a defense mechanism. Perhaps one is stuck in analysis paralysis. This card implies that the querent must take of the blindfold and confront the issue. Our Light/Energy only flows when we are being true to ourselves and take action.
When the 2/Two of Swords is thrown:
- The querent will be or has been, experiencing peace after a quarrel that began two weeks, or two months ago.
- Peace is restored but some tension remains.
- There are two actions here, sometimes selfish and sometimes unselfish action because of the contradictory characteristics in the same nature (Moon in Libra, Fire and Water).
- There is Strength gained after suffering; sacrifice and trouble, yet strength arising from the effort.
- The querent may often show sorrow and sympathy for those in trouble and champion the weak and oppressed while also giving aid to them.
- All in all, the Two of Swords, is a balancing of two strong individual minds, who have found greater profit in agreement rather than in conflict.
- There is an arrangement of differences that brings about justice and truth from untruth.
- Reconciliation of differences.
According to dignity of the accompanying cards, the ill dignity of the 2/Two of Swords could also mean:
- One is lacking tact, often doing injury when meaning well.
- There is also an inclination to repeat pardoned affronts.
- Unresolved conditions of tension.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. Your generosity blesses you. May you live long and prosper.
helping people become more magic and less tragic since 2010
Home page, Tarot store, Master Tarot classes, nontraditional Tarot Card Comparisons.
Traditional tarot blog.