Thoth-Prince of Cups
The Prince of the Chariot of the Waters; Prince and Emperor of the Nymphs or Undinges.
All four Princes are dependent on the Union of the King and Queen. Unless set in motion by the Royal couple, the Prince’s power is illusionary
The Thoth- Prince of Cups is known in the Mysteries, as the Prince of the Chariot of the Waters, Prince and Emperor of the Nymphs and Undines, as he represents the last Decan of Libra and the first two Decans of Scorpio.
This Prince is Specific Air of Primal Water.
By now, you may know the Yod Heh Vau Heh (YHVH) formula, which is also shown in the Prince of Cups. Here we see the water Lotus and the cup that is issuing a serpent. The Serpent represents the 2nd Sephiroth- Chokmah, the Yod Force and in this card, it has the fiery unsettling qualities of Scorpio. The cup, is Heh, and encloses the Yod serpent; a Victorian way to show phallus and womb and/or the King and Queen in Union. The first Heh is the Queen and Yod is the King, the Vau is the Prince.the second Heh is the Princess.
The Prince, as Vau, carries out the activities of Yod and Heh combined, here then is Water ( emotional consciousness). The Eagle drawing the Chariot, is the Kerubic symbol for Water (also the highest symbol of Scorpio). And as we know, if we've swam in a river, the Eagle also suggests that the calm appearance of water, may hold violent and fiery energy-currents beneath the surface, Therefore, in the Prince of Cups, Water suggests the Universal Unconscious which bears dynamic energy (emotions). Hence, what activity we can expect from the Prince of Cups personality is on one hand, elastic, volatile and hydrostatic equilibrium; on the other hand, the catalytic faculty and energy of steam which is shown in the Tarot card as wings of tenuous vapor, sprouting from his back that is also suggesting a spiritual sense of vaporization. Here we have a Shiva as the "Storm King".
Scorpio is noted as being the most Mysterious of Signs, making this card very complicated in its Water imagery. The Lotus is sacred to Water. The calm and stagnant Lake beneath the Prince, is shown being disturbed by heavy rain; Rain being the volatile expression of Vapor that has become clouds (Emotions). The reason the lake is shown stagnant, is because of the Alchemical secret process of putrefaction which is also symbolized by the scorpion (not shown because it is secret), the other two processes of Scorpio are shown as the Serpent and the Eagle. Sexual force and Higher Motion, in that order.
Someone born under the Tarot Wheel Prince of Cups, (oct. 23-Nov.22nd), has a core personality of all the Prince of Cups characteristics. The do not like working under harness, nor do they express all the deeply held emotions that they create. Very strong willed and will do as they think best, no matter the opinion of others. They are very passionate lovers with all that stormy emotion brewing in them as an engine creating such volatile passion.
Gothic Tarot- Knight of Cups
The Gothic Tarot-Knight of Cups, is a Female Vampire Seductrix. A veritable siren whose song lures one to the rocks of their own self -destruction. The image supports the desires and passions of the shadow side of Scorpio and the beauty of Libra. Hence, we'll give the same meaning that applies to the Thoth Prince to this card. In the Thoth Tarot, the traditional Tarot Knight is The Prince, and the Traditional Tarot King is the Knight of Thoth Tarot. Crowley knew the YHVH formula and also knew that the Traditional Kings were depicted as throne sitters. He knew the Kings to be Battle Kings, Hence the True Knights of old.
As I've said before: The Princes represent the coming and going of an event or person.
In the case of the Prince of Cups, the morality or moral characteristic of such a person is implied as:
- Subtlety, secret violence and craft.
- Being also an artist in all his ways, he would be intensely secret.
- The calm and imperturbable surface he displays mask his most intense passion.
- He accepts only external influences that aid him in his secret designs.
- His conscience is not that of an ordinary person, for it is of a more impersonal nature, making him suspect and distrusted by acquaintances.
- He is perfectly ruthless and inspires fear in those that distrust him.
- His abilities are immense, going beyond ordinary senses in to realms of the subtle. He is, however, fluid and being volatile as well, does not care to work in harness.
The fact that this Thoth Deck card is Libra going over into Scorpio, suggests great volatility, as this influence implies tremendous power, energy and weight.
Such a person must be well mated, with good will and sincerity, for loyalty is all important to keep their good nature. When this is so, they are extremely romantic, sensual and generous to a fault and are great lovers.
As far as personal events go, the Prince of Cups represents for the querent:
- A personal process of the quiet inner aspect of the male principle where self-reflection, inner meditative peace and awareness are being experienced by the querent (The person the reading is for).
- The event of Mind is turned towards deep feelings and artistic visions with the necessary passion to do them but with the secrecy that may prevent it.
- Is completely involved in emotional sensation, psychic awareness and spiritual awareness. All of which they have in abundance.
If the Prince of Cups is ill defined by the surrounding cards in the layout:
- Will carry a grudge for years.
Thank you for your interest, comments and supportive donations. Your generosity blesses you. May you live long and prosper.